1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad plow motor

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by DJs Lawncare, Oct 15, 2008.

1. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Can anybody explain to me how a 2005 Boss V-plow can go through 2 motors with the third one just installed. I bought the plow in like Sept/Oct 2005. I had to replace the motor because I was told it was bad in February 2007. I went to put the plow on the other day and the motor was drawing a ton of power and was told the motor was only intermittently working and needed to be replaced. I am not happy that I have gone through this many motors in such a short time since I still have my original Fisher plow motor on my 2000 Ford that still works great. What is the issue with these motors. This last one should be warrantied.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Single or double stud motors? Second one an OEM boss motor, or aftermarket?

3. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Bad power/ground connection.

4. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

It is a double stud motor. I believe its a boss made by haldex.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually it's probably an Iskra brand motor. But regardless, since it is a double stud you want to go over the cables and connections everywhere between the motor and the battery as it's very likely you have a voltage drop somewhere...takes a great deal of life out of the motors.

The original one dieing was probably the luck of the draw as I recall a batch of defective motors on the '05-'06 model year plows.

6. jlcf

jlcf Junior Member

pressure could be turned up to high. Have you put a gauge onit yet?