1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Plow controller on Ultra mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mklawnman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. I have a Ultramount straight blade plow and the controller is acting up. After you turn the controller on and want to lift the plow it will click and the controller will shut off, doesnt matter sometimes if you push left or right. I did open up the controller and cleaned the rubber contacts but I did notice on the up button on the electrical contacts that I can see a bare copper wire on the contact, like the coating has worn off? Could this be why it is shorting out and shutting the controller off?

I have changed the plow solenoid just to make sure and I did try a different controller and the plow works fine.

Guess I might be looking on ebay for a controller?

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

if you replaced the control and the problem went away, then the controller itself must be the problem. It sounds like you have the hand held 'cab command' control. You can also replace just the circuit board with the buttons on it. It should be about $100 less than the whole control. just FYI. part number is 56472.

3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

You may want to try to just unplug and plug back in the controller. My controller was acting up when I first put the plow on this year - controller would just shut off after a few seconds while I was using it - I just unplugged and replugged it in inside the truck and it's worked fine since then.

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

that doesn't really make sense. You might need to clean up your battery connections, especially the ground side. It's likely to happen again.

5. I have unplugged the control and plugged it back in and still the same problem.
    It is a "cab control" hand held unit. The controler is fine i think the circit board is acting up. Ill call my dealer to find out how much a new one costs. I hope its only $100 or so, I've been seeing controlers on ebay between $100-200 used some might be new.
    THanks

6. If you can help me with finding a circut board for that price let me know, my dealer wants $204 for the circut board along, new controller is $307.

7. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

those are list prices. should be able to get at least 5 or 10% off at most dealers.

8. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

ebay has replacement boards

9. Well I ended up buying a new Western Controller on ebay for less than $150. Hopefully the new one works just fine.

10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but it worked snd it's been working fine since then. Always check the seemingly simple stuff first.