1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad noise in transfer case

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by aaronpartusch, May 17, 2008.

1. aaronpartusch

aaronpartusch Junior Member

92 chev 1500 silverado ext. cab 4x4, 305, auto. There is a clicking coming from the transfer case. When it started it was only under load (pos. or neg.). Now, it's any time the truck is moving. It's got 190k on it. Already had long block, tranny and numerous others. She suits us (Towers Signs Seaford, DE) well. I'd like to get one more mild winter out of her. Does anyone know if a transfer case chain will get her right? Is there anything else, besides seals, I should do while I'm in there?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it only make the noise when 4WD is actually engaged aaron?

Or does it make the noise in 2WD as well?

3. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

i dont know what else is in a transfercase. every time ive had mine opened up was told looks good ( during a rebuild on one of the half tons) and put in new output seals. i think a chain might get you where you want