1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Night

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Midwest BuildIt Inc, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

well we got lots of snow here and i have been out all night, it all started at the first lot. It was snowing so hard i could not see across the street. the snow was deep enough to cover the curbs. Well i misjudged were the curb was and wam!!!! Twisted the right wing on my v plow. Then this mourning i hit a manhole cover, broke 8" off of my left cuttting edge. Launched the guts out of my plow lights, I literaly watched all but my light housings land 20 feet in front of me. well im off to see if i can rig this thing together to get me through the rest of tonight, its still snowin. Hope no one else had this much fun.
  2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hear about the mishaps. My day is not off to a good start either. No equipment problems but I lost my freaking keys to the truck. I went into a local store to grab some more windshield fluid. From the time I left the truck to the time I left the store my keys are gone. I rip everthing out of the truck with no luck of finding them. I stuffing everything back in and bam my horn starts honking like someone hit the button on the transmitter. I look around but did not see anybody else looking towards the truck. I left my name and number at the store just in case if someone turns them in or finds them.
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

That can't be good, I have 3 sets of keys so I can loose two and still be OK.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry to hear about the mishaps, how fast were you going when you hit?
  5. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

You better be checking the frame on that dodge. We did the same thing last year with our Boss 9.2 that is on a F250 and bent the truck frame 3/4 of an inch. Twisted the moldboard on one side about 2 to 3 inches. And collapsed the plow mount to truck bracket. Plow is still bent, replaced the plow mount, and had the truck frame straightened .
  6. Young Pup

Keys update

Well, the called and found my keys. They are all pretty much toast. Actually looks like the were plowed over. :cry: :cry: Wish that was that got to do plow over my own keys. :) Pretty much all bent up. Truck key is bent just a little. It still works though. House keys are wasted along with Transmitter to unlock and lock the truck is in great shape. Now I cannot understand that. Keys are wasted but remote is fine. Go figure. I hope everyone's day is going good for them.

P.S. I had one spare went to the chevy dealer earlier and had them make another one just in case I lost my second one tonight. Now I have 3 keys too.
  7. schnitz

schnitz Member

Bad luck abounds.....

It must be the air. Last night at about 6-6:30 I headed out to start my night of plowing. Backdrug my driveway, plowed the neighbors drive and my Snowbear decided to give me a break. Broke the strap to the winch. The webbing pulled apart. At least I was 50 feet from home. Dropped the plow at the house and went to get cable and clamps to re-engineer the winch (keeping in mind we were getting inches per hour of snow). Bought 3 eye bolts (all that store had) to use to raise the plow. I didn't figure I'd need to weld them up. Whoops. Two of them broke on the next job. 10:30 at night, oh goody. Break out the shovel.

Fast forward to 7 this morning. Re-re-engineered the previous problem. At about 10-10:30 today the winch side of the cable twisted up beside the winch. Pulled that apart and wrecked the threads on the factory u-bolt. No biggy. I had another one, till I overtightened it. Now I've got some serious stocking up to do for straps and u-bolts. By the way, my '84 is still up on jackstands with the front axle apart. This is the first break I've had all night and day. One account to do yet, but the couple is in Florida and we are supposed to get flurries yet so I'll wait till later to hit that one. My left arm needs a break..... and I need a beer!
  8. sodking

sodking Member

Yeah I was hit on the highway tonight by an idiot chick who thougth 70mph in the snow was fine. Crushed the door sill and part of the door.
  9. schnitz

schnitz Member

At least it wasn't the plow that she hit. On second thought, the plow is self cleaning! Heck, I forgot all about being stuck for 45 minutes when I tried to move a previously shoveled pile of snow. I ran out of traction, back up 6 feet, toppled right over the pile and was in snow 2 1/2 feet deep all around my truck. I have always said you could plow in a 2wd if you think and don't do something stupid. I got stupid.
  10. PlowVA

PlowVA Senior Member

Was doing a previously unseen lot for a buddy and ran right over one of the individual cement curb things they had thru the middle of the lot. Too much snow to see them. Hit it with the blade angled at about 10 mph. Tripped the plow and drove right over the f*&%$#ng thing before I knew what hit me. Think I off-centered the main cylinder (lift cylinder) about 1/2 inch. Still works, didn't know anything was wrong until I got home. The cylinder housing rubs against the frame when I put it all the way up. Makes a clunky sound when it hits. Hope I don't have to go back out tonight!! Damn.
  11. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

sucks with all the probs....i went through the night just fine besides haveing carb issues (freezing up) but while plowing this morning damned fuel pump puked on a steep ass hill side pushing down to the pile....took three trucks to get me back up the hill.....then took almost the whole day to get parts because no one had them and their parts deleivers don't know how to drive.... so i got stuck in a ranger, all rotted but go my stuff finished up at least....

My road din't even get plowed by the county until 2pm.....and my dad is the head mechanic at the shop..... :realmad: i couldnt get my truck over 35 most of the time, the drifts were jsut too deep to try and get through......time for some rest though :sleeping:
  12. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

A truck , tri axle , contracted to the state of Maryland , went under a bridge , his body was a bit too high , ripprd the aluminum body off the dump truck , wedged it at an 45 degree angle under the bridge with a full load of salt. Rout 10 at furnace branch rd in anne arundel county. Thats a bad night . ( it was a private truck not a state truck)
  13. RODJ

RODJ Member
    from MD

First Time Out

14. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I was probably going about 5 mph when i hit it , The plow was in scoop pos. Well guys with a little work i got it through the night. It plowed fine except for where the peice of scraper edge was missing. any thing i should be checking for??
  15. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like you had fun bud. I smashed my tail gate spreader backing into a snow hill, oh well things happen :rolleyes:

Also broke my last cotter pin holding my plow on. So it fell of in the middle of a job, so that put me back an hour or so till I could have my father drop of a new set of pins. Other than that the night was B-E-A-UTIFULL
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  16. Razorman

Razorman Senior Member

Hey Grass did you check out dump truck on E-bay?
  17. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

EDIT_Disregard the following. I didn't see that you got your keys back. It's like the whole page didn't load or something.? :dizzy:

I don't want to be an alarmist, but you better watch your truck close or disable it somehow when you are out of it. It sounds to me like you may have set your keys down in the store,they were picked up, and they hit the panic to find out which vehicle it was. I hope I'm wrong, and someone just stepped on the transmitter in the snow or something like that.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I was in my buddies truck yesterday helping him with his route and I had an oil filter fail on it. It had a rust hole in it, but it was spraying out and hitting the ground under my butt. And it was such a fine mist I couldnt tell exactly where it was coming from. So I took it to the dealer and they had me out of there in under an hour......Rob
  19. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

Sounds like one of those shouldn't have gotten out of bed days. Da*n snow.
  20. Young Pup

Hey Streetsurfin,

That was my thoughts exactly. I was even going to have the service department put in a new door lock, ignition switch and change the code on the transmitter on Monday. But I was lucky and they found them. Decided to get rid of the ignition key.It had a slight bend in it and was scraped up pretty bad. Did not want to take a chance of it breaking off in the ignition.