1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Night With My 2011 Hd, check engine Christmas light show

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by topdj, Mar 7, 2011.

1. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I went and plowed a driveway while doing so I got a little stuck and ended up with every check engine light I can think of.
    The truck seemed possessed lights going on off the radio heater and what not just going crazy.
    I turn the truck off and the dash stayed lit the truck would not restart just a dash light show.
    I though for a minute what to do since I'm kinda stranded so I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes reconnected and it started but the light show continues.
    I Will be off to the dealers in the AM if it starts I unhooked the battery for tonight just in case.

2. topdj

topdj Senior Member

went out this morning and hooked the battery up, it started and I had a airbag light for a few minutes I shut it off after it warmed up then restarted now its like nothing ever happened? I called the dealer they said to bring it in on Wed.
    I have this funny feeling they will say we found nothing? All I can say guys is carry a wrench to disconnect the battery in case you get stranded like I did :(

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

My wife's Audi has traction control, skid control, ABS, ESP, LOL and any other kind of electronic gizmo you care to mention in a car. Couple years ago I buried it pretty good and the electronic nannies freaked out pretty good on me as I was rocking it backa nd forth to get it unstuck. Every time I nailed the gas and any one tire started to slip the brakes cut in, the engine cut poser and all sorts of lights and noises started happening...it would have been fun if I weren't stuck in a snowbank. This happened less with the main TCS button off, but even then it still runs some of its programming. When I eventually got it out it was basically in its "limp home" mode and was effectively running on first gear and half the cylinders...shut it down for a few minutes, restarted it and all was well.

It could be that you've experienced something similar, but your truck's computer program didn't want to let go of the trouble codes for awhile. I bet the dealer flashes the computer to a newer revision of the computer code to resolve the issue. Hopefully.

4. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I hope so , I was not even rocking it. It has just over 400 miles on it so I was trying to not be abusive. I did spin back and forth and I turned the traction control off but who knows the abs might of also got confused.
    What really bothers me is I shut it off and it would not restart. Even the locks and windows did not work.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have no idea what is going on but Nichols Landscape should chime in. I think he had a similar problem with a D-Max.

What is it with all these new trucks? Seems like all the computers are messing everything up, kind of the future I guess. Makes me nervous as I transition to a career as a pilot. Most/all new aircraft are run only on computers, fly by wire. What do I do at 40,000ft when all the lights start flashing? Disconnect the battery??? LOL. Granted there are still redundancy systems still.

Anyways, damn computers! They make life more simple yet a pain in the as$ at the same time. My 06 Cummins will not be going anywhere for a while. Can't get any newer while still being simple to work on.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  6. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

That's an odd problem . I hope they can track it down . Let us know what happens !

7. topdj

topdj Senior Member

be careful disconnecting the aircraft battery they are 48volt :) Im going back out with the plow on in some deep snow and see if I can recreate the issue

8. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

I've got a 2011 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0 gasser so I'm hoping this doesn't happen to me! One question : did you hold down the TC button for a few seconds until it flashes "Stabila Trak off"? One bump just shuts the traction control off but you've got to hold it down to shut off the Stabila Trak.
    I'm not a big fan of all these computer controls either... they seem to be more of a PIA then their worth. My truck came with the rear sonar and that thing drives me nuts. Even if I disable it, it still seems to beep at me when I put it in reverse.
    Let us know what you find.

9. Squires

Squires Senior Member

when it all goes to **** in the air you send out R2D2 .
    electronice have been the main in avaition for a while now, only bug smashers and ww2 era stuff are you really "fighting" with controls, no more of the feet on the instruments pulling back on the yoke to pull a comercial airliner out of a nose dive at the ground(movies :jester:)

as for the truck i hope you figure it out, i also don't like all the stabilitrac and traction control on the new vehicles, havn't had the christmas tree happen, but was stuck once this year on the way to work when i forgot to turn it off and it went into that on the brakes off the brakes mode, trouble is as stated before it is never totally turned off, not sure what other things you would lose if you pulled the fuse, probably a deterant system that will lock out the heater controle or the radio.

10. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Nothing new about this for me. My 07 nbs has done stuff like that several times, every time you take it to the dealer there is no problem found and no codes stored. Once I got in it and started it up, put it in drive and started driving then I released nothing in the cluster worked, completely dark, no gages, the radio worked so that's good news. Was like that for about 2 key cycles, went to take it to the dealer and everything was back to working. Another time while driving (forward) the parking assist went off and would not shut off even with the switch had to listen to that for 10 minutes till I could shut it off and restart. I often wonder if Microsoft makes the computer since my truck needs a Ctrl, Alt, Delete from time to time.

11. topdj

topdj Senior Member

so you have to turn stable track and TC off I just hit it once, hmm I just found some fresh 16inches of snow in my back yard I got a little stuck trying to simulate it. I put it in low and the light came on saying both stable and TC is off. Maybe this is what messed me up last night I left it in 4 hi and turn off just TC I didn't think to turn off Stable track since I didn't know you could. Are you suppose to plow in low or with them both off?

12. Squires

Squires Senior Member

press it once to turn of the TC, keep holding it and the stabilitrack will turn off as well(for 2wd or 4H), there auto off in 4L as you stated, not sure about 4 low, but in 2wd or 4h it still kicks in slightly which is annoying.

as for what to do plowing, without being an expert on the matter i would assume it would be better to spin every now and again with it all off than have it engage 100 times a storm but who knows.....

13. topdj

topdj Senior Member

4 lo turns them both off automatically , I just went out and tried it

14. Grn_Mtn_Boy

Grn_Mtn_Boy Junior Member

I can't see a problem plowing with both of them off...I do. I like to be in control of my truck instead of the computer.
    By the way I see you have a leveler kit. I don't know much about them. Does it help with carrying the plow? I'll have to say, the 2011 carry a plow pretty well without any tinkering. I'm carrying a Boss 8.2 V and haven't cranked the torsion bars nor do I have any ballast yet (need to get some). I always wondered why the trucks were lower in the front. I remember when the Ford Super Duties came out, they were higher in the front. Anyone know why they just make them more balanced? Maybe designed to run level when loaded (GM)?

15. Squires

Squires Senior Member

yeah i tried saying that in the above post but wasn't very clear.
    with it off via the button they will kick in slightly in both 2 and 4high if you slide fishtail far enough.
    i havn't used 4 low enough to see if it will still kickin eventually ,even though it says it is off

16. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

This strikes me as the kind of thing that might be in the manual under the recommended operation section that tells you how to go offroading and what to d when you get stuck. Check it out, might have an answer for what to do in severe conditions.

17. topdj

topdj Senior Member

one tech thinks I my have created a low voltage condition that set codes on just about everything,
    I might be putting that second battery in like I did on my 07 1500. I did have my rotators on and was raising and lowering the plow a lot. I cant see how all the systems would throw codes otherwise.
    I tried to recreate this yesterday but it was light out and I think my headlights were off along with the rotators being off. that's like 30 amps less draw. I will have to buy a new battery because the one from the old trucks is 3 years old

18. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

My truck has a second battery . I thought all the HDs came that way ?

19. topdj

topdj Senior Member

my 07 1500 had a tray and this one has a extra tray, I just got a call back NO codes found. So disconnecting overnight cleared it all up. They want to keep it overnight

20. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

They are optional as far as I know. $135 (option on build+price) gets you the aux batt on a new gas truck