1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad news

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by JD PLOWER, Sep 19, 2004.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Bad news.
    I received a letter from the local salt supplier (the same one in my photo album) that listed the preseason prices at 59.90 per ton plus taxes and delivery. I know this is going to be a bad year when they start out telling you your going to get screwed this season on prices AND they included an article from the WSJ about the cost of shipping overseas. The kicker is the article is dated November 2003? Sounds to me like they are planning on gouging us (locals) this year and setting us up for some really bad prices as soon as the snow hits.

What are some of your prices so far?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

$62/ton picked up at the dock.
  3. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

Do you think the Mafia is controlling the market?

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

There is no Mafia :rolleyes:

Do I think that there is an organized conspiracy to keep prices artificially high? Yes. Is there a group of guys sitting around a table in a basement smoking cigars and drinking wine talking about how to jack up salt prices? No. The mob around these parts is generally going after much bigger fish (literally) then to waste time with salt supplies.
  5. sglaine

sglaine Junior Member

Of course OPEC does not help matters either.
  6. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

in reply

7. buddy markley

buddy markley Junior Member
    from Ohio

I just quoted $45. per ton picked up and $3.45 per bag of halite.