1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad news for my "OLD Pal" 1988 Dodge $X$

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jef6941, May 21, 2010.

1. jef6941

jef6941 Junior Member

Started out with losing the 4x4 then I started having to replace trans fluid. There is a leak somewhere. Checked the coolant lines and the pan. seems to be alright though the fluid collects on the bottom. Any suggestions would be helpful.:confused:

2. jef6941

jef6941 Junior Member

My old Pal

I will give it one more try. I think I have chased it down to a leaky canister on the front axle. Does anyone know where that available?:

3. jef6941

jef6941 Junior Member

I beg your patience My "pal" is a 1988 Dodge d100 4X4 318. I got lucky last winter. We got 185" of snow but it was mostly light. I plowed two rightof ways 7 houses about 2 1/2 miles. And only got caught once where I couldn't move it.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you have to keep adding fluid to the trans?

5. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

sounds like the trans is leaking. could be front or rear seals or shift lever seal.

4x4 is likely a leaky hose to the vacuum actuator on the front axle, could also be electrical problem with the indicator switch on the transfer case

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010