1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Mouthing?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by getsum, Oct 2, 2011.

1. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Ok not sure if this is the right place for this but how do you handle Bad Mouthing by other so called "contractors". I won a large contract for 4 sites to be plowed.. thus expanding my business 2 fold.. Yet the we will just call him "contractor" who had it previously, has called the people i won the bid for and running his mouth about me. He screwed it up so bad they dont even want him on site and he heard that i won and tried to cut me by 20%. And another bid i have pending yet another so called contractor is bad mouthing me to the condo association so they wont give it to me.. He does a horrible job and over charges a ton so they approached me to bid.. i did so, and he was telling a friend of mine that i cant do that to him bc he stands to loose money etc etc... Yet runs his mouth about me even though we have NEVER met... Both of these guys are in there mid 40's and up... Im 24 and am twice as mature as them... do i get involved to counter to the board what this jerk is saying or leave it be??? just sux.. its called COMPETITIVE BIDDING for a damn reason... you screwed up and also took advantage,,, you lost it and i got it,,, get over it and do it right.. what would you do???
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Let it go....You won the Bid...Do a Good Job....And chuckle every time you deposit the checks in your Bank account....:salute:
  3. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Take the high road.
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

JK I'm in my 40's and have been losing bids to younger guys. While bad mouthing is not the way to go...it happens between competitors. You yourself do some in your post. I suggest you ignore it, meets your customers face to face and show them you're above that. Let your work prove them wrong and remember when you're 40 that that snotnosed kid that's stealing your work for cheaper rates was you.
  5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I had a competitor do the same to me after I won an account. We were plowing the lot and he went into the store (I wondered why he wasn't out plowing....lol) and was bad mouthing everything we did... got the manager so pissed off she told him to shut up and she doen't have a problem with anything we where doing (He didn't have to balls to say it to my face)........ I signed a multi year contract with them that spring!

Actions speak louder then words.......

And for the record I've had 50 year olds take some of my work in the past........
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

When someone asks me about another company,I just say I have no opinion on them and give a little smile.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  7. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

i have that happen to me from time to time at some of my customers and they dont listen to it. if he messed up his plowing its his fault you just go in and show him how to do it by being a pro and doing an excellent job. good luck
  8. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

thanks guys i really try not to bad mouth and take the high road no matter how hard it is. Ya i said a couple small things but when people ask me about it i just tell them they had there feathers ruffled... I learned on here a wile ago that if you say something it ALWAYS somehow finds its way back... the more they crap talk the stronger more mature and better i look Thumbs Up
  9. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I like your posts. This is another good one Thumbs Up
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We all know what you really want to do.

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

send him a 50lb bag of salt and tell him to pound it. When dealing with customers don't bad mouth the others just redirect the conversation in a positive way that emphasizes your abilities to get the job done
  13. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

Like my grandma always said if you can't say anything good about someone don't say anything at all .....

wise lady god rest her soul...
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Let your work speak for itself.

If the guy keeps it up, have your lawyer send a letter using words like cease, desist, slander, and libel
  15. nh785

nh785 Member

I am having a similar experience right now. Fact is the person slandering you is doing way more damage to his reputation than you ever could. Let em keep it up. If a customer goes with him after he "bad mouths you" you are better off without that costumer.
  16. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I always ask a potential client what issues were last season, etc. Probably half the time I end up sticking up for the previous contractor. Other half the time the issue was something I had already made a note about (open times, ) & I'm like "but you just told me you open at "

There will always be people like this in the work place,they get there feelings bent when they loose the bid and they feel it in there bank account.
    When they resort to bad mouthing you to the customer they just make themselves look even sadder.
    There is no way I would even let some one bid on a job of mine if they show up bad mouthing other people ,you know as soon as you let them go they would be talking crap about you as a business owner
  18. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I ask every potential client what they did and didnt like about their previous contractor. I let them do the bad mouthing. I don't add anything, and i certainly dont stick up for them, but I will sometimes add, "that's interesting to hear, because i've heard it before from other people."
  19. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with Longae on this one. Listen to what the customer wants to share, then maybe concur with them as you might know a thing or two about the previous company they were using. But in the end, all that matters is the quality of work they expect and can you provide them with it?
  20. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

Awesome advice and responses fellas.. I put 110% in EVERYTHING i do. i dont bid it or do it if i know i can not do it right.. i dont do it to keep lights on its a passion/ hobby that has me by the jewels haha but seriously i do my best at everything, ya things happen but you can only control so much. I am just going to let them talk them selves out of town.. I learned the year before last to keep my mouth shut and temper in check bc i lost an account to someone on here taking what i said to the corporate office and ratting me out... Still have never said anything about the guy nor who it was.. i messed up and deserved it. ahh life's little lessons lol