1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad motor?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by carl b, Jan 5, 2007.

1. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

i've had my e-60 for 4 years and went through 3 electric motors and now it does not want to go down i have also replaced the pump inside last year and the dealer said packing was nice and tight any adv. i'm running my e-47 and it's slow!!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, since your E47 is working just fine they your wiring and connection's are probably Ok. The "A" valve and the coil that operate's the valve (the one with the black wire) is what control's your drop. You can test the coil by putting your controller in the "float" position (make sure your key is on) and holding a metal object (wrench or a screw driver will work) on top of the "A" coil and check it for magnetism. If you can feel it pulling on the wrench then the coil's probably ok. Next thing to check is the "A" valve itself. Remove the a coil off the valve and screw the valve out of the pump.Then take a small pick or screw driver and push in on the bottom of the valve. Their's a spool inside the valve that moves and allow's the fluid to flow through it.That's what your pushing on. Can you feel it moving? It only moves a little bit so you really gotta feel for it. If it wont move or it feel's like the spool is sticking in the body of the valve then replace the valve and you should be all set.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah probably in the A Assembly.

Are you running the newer 2 wire motor? if not next time change it to the new style motor they hold up a lot better. Make sure you're getting real Meyer motors not the buyer knock-offs, They are cheaper for a reason. What fluid are you running? ATF is a lot harder for the pump to move then Meyer fluid. Could be why you're going though motors so fast. Even Meyer motors should last longer then that.

4. LON

LON Senior Member

I agree with the above, could be a "A" solenoid problem. I've also seen self-adjusting "drop rate" screws.
    While your fiddling with the unit why not check the pump pressure which should be at 2500psi. I've seen the pump pressure self adjust as well and if it has backed off any you could be running the motor longer due to the lack of pressure.
    Lon

5. Rickco

Rickco Member

The A coil or valve is the problem. It is what drops the plow,your motor has nothing to do with lowering the plow. It is simply releasing the preasure and gravity does the work. The plow raises and angles ok then the motor is fine.

6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

thank you all i"ll check the spool later i allready replaced the coil and i"m running the new meyer motor with two grounds and running meyer fluid, filters no s.a.m. parts the first
    motor i put on was a s.a.m. only lasted 3or4 snows.