1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad motor on Swing Away 2000 Salter?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by mklawnman, Jan 12, 2011.

1. I have a SwingAway salter on my truck that is 7 years old and lately we have been having issues with it working when we have it loaded with salt. It works when there isn't much salt in it and when there isn't any in it. But when we load it and then turn it on it seems to jam up and the spreader control blinks red.
    We have been unplugging it and then plugging it in again and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have cleaned out the plug and got all the greese out of it. Sometimes it works when it is pluged in half to 3/4 of the way. I can usually hear the motor trying to work for a few seconds before the spinner control goes red. It almost sounds like it is having power issues because I will turn the spinner on in the truck and go to the back and move around the plug and it will work for a bit sometimes work for a good while before it stops or acts like it is jamed.
    If someone has any ideas let me know, I figure if a motor goes bad it wouldn't work at all but I could be wrong.
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like the brushes in the motor are going bad. if the motor is original it would not surprise me. the red light means overload. i would undo the battery connections, clean the well and grease and reconnect. 7 years is a pretty good run.
  3. Didn't think to clean by the battery, since it looks clean and no corrosion but Ill try that too. I still think it has something to do with the plug that it has a bad spot on it or the motor? Like I said it will work at times and at times it wont, then I will go back and move the plug around and it works.
    Ill clean the connections up front and in back and see how it goes. The spinner spins fine and was just greased.
  4. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

i'm having the same problem!
    used a hopper at one location and worked fine..
    drove to another location ( 45 minutes away)
    stopped working!

let me know if you fix it w/o having to buy a new motor..
    i don't really want to drop $160 on a new motor but might have to.