1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Luck's Dual Battery Set Up Pics

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Bad Luck, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

This is on an 04 1500 w/ a 5.3.

I replaced the stock Delco 600CCA battery with two Interstate 700CCA batteries. I wired + to +, and the ground temporarily to the body (I ran out of cable). I will later on wire the ground to the same factory chassis ground. I used 4ga cable, same as factory, but I'm thinking about upgrading it all to 2ga. Any thoughts on that??

The lights still dim when using the plow but no where near as much as they used to. It does not crank any faster or start easier either, which for some reason I thought it would. I have no plans on isolating these batteries as I feel my needs require more amps and reserve power, plus, when bought my plow I also ordered a hot start, so I will always be able to make it home.

Plow Install 067.jpg
  2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I bought the aux tray from my local stealership, about 25 beans. You unbolt the upper and lower fender braces, bolt in the tray, it acts as a lower fender support. The tray did not come with a hold down for the battery so I bought a universal from Pep Boys. I had to slightly modify it to hold the battery properly by slipping I piece of rubber tubbing on it. My advice is to buy the factory piece when you buy the tray even though my with my setup the battery feels like it is cemented in there, it would be nice to have the factory look.

The last pic is of the main battery's' terminals and how I have them set up, GM side post terminals suck, period. The biggest pain in the A$$ about doing this was getting the plow terminals and the second battery terminals to fit. My big meat hooks couldn't' get into the tight space between the battery and the fuse block.

Next time around, even though I am satisfied with this set up, I will spend the dough on two Optimas or at least a 1000CCA Set.

Plow Install 068.jpg

Plow Install 069.jpg

Plow Install 070.jpg
  3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Looks good. I run a similar setup on my 98 K-1500. Dual 1000 CCA batteries. No plow though on that one. Real easy to hook up just takes a little time to run the wires right and made it solid. :drinkup:
  4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Looks great, did you have to move anything to get it to fit?

I just installed all new 1g wire and a 200 amp alt. It works great I can turn on everything lights, lt bar, strobes, heat on high, wipers, radio up full and 4 way flashers with very little drop in voltage. I think the bigger wire made all the difference. I haven't tried it with the plow yet but I think adding a second battery would seal the deal. I just cant find a place to put it. It would fit were the washer bottle is but where I would put the washer bottle is beyond me. Its really tight under the hood with the 460 in there. It looks like yours was a tight fit to.
  5. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

The 2ga. advantage depends on what kind of current draw you have. Personally I think the 4 is fine for the amount (length) of wire you'll have in your truck unless you've got something drawing a lot of power you won't notice any advantage. My $.02.
  6. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

Thanks Bad Luck :D
  7. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

Ground location

One thing I notice on most trucks I see, people overlook the ground. If you were to bring the ground wire to the same point of attachment as the plow wire, it should dim the lights less. Sandwich the neg.battery wire, the neg, plow motor, and any neg. connections in that area. It does not hurt to have the batteries connected in parallel and two points of ground (one for each battery). Also, a good time to suggest GREASE, in, on behind and through, if grease is there water is NOT, and where there is water, there will be corrosion or rust, resulting in a poor electrical connection, I say " Where grease is , water isn't"
  8. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

battery terrminals

On G.M. side post applications, I like to use a multi-fit battery, (with side AND top posts) you can make all your connections to the sides, and have the top (I put clamp on battery terminal ends , without wire, on the posts to protect them, and give something for the cables to bite into) for easier jump-starting, (hopefully your buddies truck, not yours)
    Or, you can use a top post only as your second battery, connect as required. This second method does not give you the option of switching battery locations if you have a need.
    Remember "Where grease is water, is't"
  9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I had to remove, and leave off the upper fender support. I've been told that the factory dual battery trucks do not have this so it's not a priority for me to add one, but one of my body guys is fabricating on for me. At that time I will be moving the ground, as the current set up uses one of the mounting holes.

I'm torn with using grease and here's why: Underneath my hood gets pretty dirty from normal driving as you can see from the pics. These Chevy's are not sealed off all that well, anyway, grease attracts dirt, salt, etc, these things promote corrosion. I was thinking of tracking down some of that rubberised plastic stuff you brush on the terminals. I do use dielctric on all of my plow connections, but these are otherwise protected from the elements when not in use.
  10. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

This might be a stupid question, but would rather ask to be safe. When I get the second battery installed, can I unhook my plow wires and run them directly to the second battery?
    Right now I have the plow, spreader, and hoist hooked to the first one. After adding the jumper wire from the second to the first I will have no room to hook it up. Also, where is the best place to ground the second battery?

11. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I always run the biggest i can afford so i don't have to upgrade later when my demands are higher. I run 2/0 gauge just slightly smaller than 3/4 inch in diam.

Here is some of mine hooked up

This is part of my old setup, everything is soldered and heat shrink tubing with the glue is the only way to go

I am getting ready to redo everything again because i am adding an iso with relay and diodes. I need it mainly for the stereo, winch and other misc garbage.

Great setup though
  12. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

As for easier starting, with the current setup you have your ground to the body which isn't very good for the starter. What I mean is, that battery has to go through the body, then through the braided body-to-block wire just to get to the starter. I think you might see a small improvement when you get the longer ground cable to the block and eliminate the drop caused by the body/braid connection. my.02
  13. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

To bad luck
    RE:I'm torn with using grease and here's why: Underneath my hood gets pretty dirty from normal driving as you can see from the pics. These Chevy's are not sealed off all that well, anyway, grease attracts dirt, salt, etc, these things promote corrosion. I was thinking of tracking down some of that rubberised plastic stuff you brush on the terminals. I do use dielctric on all of my plow connections, but these are otherwise protected from the elements when not in use.
    Yes the out side "skin" of the grease will get dirty, but the water, salt, etc will not get to the electrical contact area, and start corrosion and result in a poor connection. I use grease in the same fashion on, in and around ANY battery connection, positive or negative. This does not look neat, but it works, and then so do I. My welding service truck has a power tailgate, when I got it (used) it would not work well, everything was green and crusty. This sits behind the rear wheels, so you can imagine the junk that it collects. I removed all connections, cleaned well, greased in, on and around, now NO problem. If you have the time and want it to look a bit neater, wipe the out side grease off and replace it with fresh protection I like those little disposable acid brushes for this.
    As for the plastic stuff, I think that would just trap water inside, kind of like powder coating traps water and you get "rust creep" and it would be he!! to do any maintenance or emergency repairs.
  14. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Good point. I may have to spray the engine bay down to get it nice and pretty then Dielectric it up.
  15. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Looks good Bad Luck! With me having a diesel, I already have a dual battery setup but my lights still dim a little when operating the plow. I'm going to have my local electrical shop modify my alternator to put out more amps plus I'm going to replace both my batteries.
  16. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

use grease on terminals and i would run the ground to the block and frame
    i wouldnt just go to the fender.. :drinkup:
  17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good.

A few points....

The little tab that you bolted your ground to.....that needs to be removed in MOST cases. Sure aids in installing the battery. You don't need the fender bracing.

As others have stated, a run to the engine head with the aux. negative is a much better idea. Your body has several OEM ground-straps.

You forgot to mention that you have to wiggle the coolant resivior out of the way to install the battery. Also, a GM battery hold-down is available, and it doesn't cost all that much.

I'm having a HELL of a time tracking down TWO Optima batteries. Lots of places have ONE, but I need TWO. Thats whats holding me up right now with my pictorial/write-up.

Good job though!
  18. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Thanks for the comments guys :drinkup:

Yeah, the factory hold down was like 4 beans from the dealership, once I switch the ground, clean the bay, grease the terminals, and walk the dog I'll be adding the factory hold down.

Did you try Sears by any chance? The one by me is stocked to the hilt with Optima's.
  19. TLC Ken

TLC Ken Member

bought a dealership extra tray to do that in my 94 dually. The new blizzard eats batteries. It wouldn't hurt to have a few more cca to trun over the 454 too. I think I will put in those orbitals, I also have a electric reel on here the rest of the year for spraying lawns.

I will have to move my gas evap canister and relocate it. I'm a little chicken to go without it, since it soaks up the gas vapors instead of exploding.

I am trying to find someone that will custom make battery cables. The place I used to have them made went out of business. I sure like those preformed ends on there better than those clamp on ones.