1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Lift Cylinder?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jim1960, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Jim1960

Jim1960 Junior Member
    from VA

I recently bought a '78 Chevy 1/2 ton with a Fisher hydraulic plow to keep my driveway clear. Everything works great (already used it twice) except the plow creeps downward on its own. After 5 minutes, it'll be sitting on the ground. There doesn't appear to be any leaks in the system. I've never owned or used a plow before, but I assume that it's supposed to stay up on its own. What's the best way to troubleshoot this to figure out what might be causing the problem?

Thanks!

2. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

I am going to guess that you probally have belt driven hydraulics on this truck. If this is acurate you have what is known as creep down. There is not fix for this other than to replace the valve. The spools were machined to be a exact fit to each specific valve and you cannot get a replacement spool. But it could also be as simple as the valve being out of adjustment. Does the plow lift slower than what you would expect? The spool may not be centered. I would take a look at the adjustment of the cables to see if they are adjusted correctly. If they are then you will need to replace the valve as the tolerances have relax after that many years of use and fluid is slipping by the spool seals back to the reservoir and that is why you see no visible leaks.

3. Jim1960

Jim1960 Junior Member
    from VA

Yep - it's got a belt driven pump. Thanks for the info! The valve sounds like a logical culprit. The blade raises and lowers pretty quickly, so it's probably adjusted OK. Given that I don't use it much, I'll probably just leave it the way it is unless I run across a screamin' deal on a valve.