1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Joystick? wierd problem

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Plowformoney, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Plowformoney

Plowformoney Junior Member

2 days ago I spent all day getting my plow ready. New alternator, new solenoid o-rings etc... At the end of the day everything was fine. I parked the truck and accedently left the joystick in the "float" position. I tried to start the truck up the next day and the battery was dead. I bought a new battery and put it in. I got in the truck and hit the joystick real quick and it functioned properly. I drove to the gas station and just for shitts and giggles I hit the joystick... nothing happened. I checked the fuse panel and it still had a good connection.

I tried jumping the firewall mounted solenoid for the pump and it clicked . however the joystick doesn't even make the solenoid click. I replaced the firewall mounted solenoid... no difference. Ive tried everything I can think of, changin fuse location, bypassing solenoid, and messing with the joystick. Did I burn somethin up when I left the joystick down???

Thanks guys:dizzy:

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I've left my slick stick down for extended periods a couple times, once the coil on the valve went out. I also have problems with bumping the wiring plug in for the harness at the stick and having to plug it back in, wiggling and pushing to get good contact. I did it enough I installed a bright red warning light on the dash to remind me to put it back in the middle. Just some thoughts.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Worse case you could maybe fry the a coil. Check all your grounds.
    Wire the control 12 volt to a keyed circuit then it wouldn't matter where you leave your slic stix

4. Plowformoney

Well I checked the joystick connection and its fine. I know about the keyed circuit locations now..

I can connect the positive terminal and the ground terminal and and get the pump to run.....

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

joy stick should only be powered with key on

john

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When you activate the switch to the up position is there 12 volts at the white wire on the 12 volt motor solenoid?

7. Plowformoney

unfortunatly i dont have a volt meter.
    any other way to test it?. I can get power to the pump by bypassing the solenoid, Im stuck :confused: :confused:

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need to buy the necessary tools or take it to a service center. With-out the tools you cann't do the diagnosis

9. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Though the volt meter would be better a test light would work fine. They are cheap enough.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Yeah, a test light would work as well. I've seen test lights and voltmeters in the dollar store, it's hard to get cheaper then a buck

11. Plowformoney

Fixed it. Terns out I needed to switch the cables around on the solenoid(positives). I didnt think it made a difference... but i guess it did. Oh and a Burn up A coil.