1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Hiniker Joy Stick Controller?

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by markcp, Dec 3, 2015.

1. markcp

markcp Junior Member

Hello,

Been experiencing electrical issues with my Hiniker straight blade. When I go to lift, all dash lights go very dim, alternator gauge drops way down and even radio cuts out.

I have a new pump motor.

Had my battery load tested, all good.

When turning blade right or left in raised position, sometimes blade just drops. I need to push both lift and angle to keep it raised during a turn.

Next up load test my alternator.

Could a bad joy stick cause excessive battery draw and plow drop?

Thank you for any help.
    Mark

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I had a blizzard that had a power wire fray where it entered the joystick box. Could not see it till you opened up the joystick. All the connections in there would sporadically get a jolt of power. Easy solder fix and some shrink tube and voila...
    Follow all your wires and look for frayed or loose connections.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The power to run your plow does not flow threw the controller.

Clean all of your connections.

then go to your alt and run a larger Hot + wire from the alt to your batt.
    then clean the grounds from engine to frame/body.

ground the plow to the batt - if your already using a different location.

new, as in this year or last?
    if last year, service it, new fluid and remove the ress and clean the screen.

4. Mr.Markus

Your controllers don't need power???
    Neat:rolleyes:

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Its a controller, it runs a solenoid, the solenoid handles the power demand of the pump not the controller.

The controller is not responsible for the slow pump or the high draw. it also gets its own power separate from the-pump.

op also tale a good look at the pins in the plug,,, dirty, loose, etc etc

6. Mr.Markus

[​IMG]

Yes, a bad wire in your joystick can cause blade drop and battery draw if the contacts are grounding out and activating the solenoid as in my first post, this was what caused all the same problems with my blizzard.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Regarding the power draw from the pump moter,
    the controller has no bearing on the powerdraw (diming of the lights) from the pump motor. The controller is hooked. up to a separate fuse.

I have a Hiniker...

We don't know if the blade went up or not.
    If it did, it's not the controller

Then a new motor, are the wires crossed?

Replacing a motor should have no effect on the controller.
    Having crossed wires on the motor or coils that may have been moved when working on it. ..

If the plow just falls,
    There could be leakage threw the pump check valve
    Leakage threw the lowering solenoid valve.
    Or wires on the coils in the wrong place

Then if that's not it ,,yes, I will agree with you, and condem the controller Thumbs Up
    It just being worked on sends up the flag,....that somthing happened that is not related to the controller

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  8. Mr.Markus

I wasn't disagreeing, just relaying an experience I've had. As in all these posts there is never enough information to accurately diagnose the 1 culprit. I wear a lot of stuff out, and assume the basics have been covered, cleaning connections, fuses,wiggling wires.

9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It's cool,
    Yea we need more info.
    It's possibel we have more than one issue.

Power draw,
    If the controller was drawing enough to dim the lights
    The controller would be melting in his hand,
    It should be hooked up to a 10-15amp fuse under the dash.
    Power draw
    a Bad solenoid?

That is why I think the issue is some place else.
    And or the controler;)

10. Mr.Markus

The nicest thing to have done would be to chime back in with what the issue was or whether he got it resolved.
    Otherwise I have to keep talking to you

11. markcp

markcp Junior Member

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I replaced the pump motor because of this mentioned issue was on Monday during first use. New pump installed last night, same results.

I did put in a new under hood pump solenoid this fall when the previous solenoid wouldn't even click, but would work when jumpered across posts. It is a new heavy duty four post solenoid, is it possible the two small wires mixed up on the two small posts?

After posting this, I went out this morning and watched closer to what is happening.

Truck at idle.
    Upon activating the joystick, the dash gauges do following: Voltage goes down to about 5, tachometer drops to zero, oil pressure gauges goes high. Lights dim and radio shuts off. Plow lifts and turns slowly. On some right to left turns, it will drop. Plow joystick indicator light may turn red or green upon activating joystick.

Truck at high idle with rpm's around 2000:
    tachometer drops a little, lights stay a bit brighter, radio may or may not drop out. Plow lifts and turns. Not the dropping of blade like on low idle.

I talked with a mechanic that thinks a short in a wire or bad ground somewhere.

Again, thanks for the help,
    Mark

12. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

You can send them into Hiniker and they will rebuild. We have several Hiniker plows so we bought a new one while that one was been rebuilt. So we have an extra incase something goes wrong during storm.

13. markcp

markcp Junior Member

Cleaned up some bad ground wires and it works.
    Thank you all for any help and advice.

14. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

The controller just activates a solenoid. It's draw is so low that they are fused 10 amps. All amp draw is via solenoid...hence the controller is not the issue.