1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Head Gasket? NAH! Rusted-out frost plug!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by uglytruk, Mar 5, 2007.

1. uglytruk

uglytruk Member

I bought this junker/clunker '84 3/4 ton from a sawyer for $200. He had just bought it a month earlier for $700 with a new clutch. He plowed once, and it started spewing anti-freeze from "the head gasket" under the alternator. All it was was an easy-to-get-to frost plug. Pullled the alt, and put in a rubber one for $2.49, as I mangled the .66 steel one.
    Now it still needs three tires fixed, and a bunch of small things, but "timing is everything"! The sawyer was happy to see it go...

3 3 07  Ern Caffe Lena   Wire Crimper 007.jpg

2 21 07  85  Plow Truck Bucks 011 (Medium).jpg

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Even as a parts truck that would be worth well over the $200.

Nice find, great steal.
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Find yourself an old Fisher hydro plow and it will be a great truck for plowing used one for 16 yrs.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

After looking at it closer and counting lugs it looks like a HD to boot.
  5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

What a steal! Those trucks are hard to beat for reliability and durability... and at that price, what have you got to lose?

All the older 3/4 tons are 8 lug, the 6 lug version didn't start til '88.... Should be a 14 bolt rear end (the smaller 9.5" semifloater) and a 10 bolt front.
  6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That was a find. payup

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Thanks for the info.

I have a 88 that is a 6 lug and had a 89 HD with the 8 lug. What a huge difference there is. If that 84 is as sturdy as my 89 was it will last forever and then some.

With some TLC of coarse.
  8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

This was built when it didn't need to be taged HD to be sturdy!!! I'm not mocking the new HD's, it's just that those older Chevy 3/4's were awsome, and I'm not even a Chevy guy.