1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Half shaft?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Purplerays6, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Purplerays6

Purplerays6 Junior Member

Hey guys, I had a great first push to start the season. Pulled into the first stop, made one pass, and promptly blew a hose. Blue juice all over the ground, and a brand new hose with a hole in it. Spare parts, tools, and on the way in a half hour. My problem is a noise in the left front. I hear it in 4 wheel, backing up. I assume it's the half shaft, I wonder how hard is it to change. The truck is a 99 chevy 3/4 ton, same style as my 88. Eight lug wheels, the 88 had 6 lug wheels, how hard is this to do? Thanks
  2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

changing a half-shaft on your truck should be pretty simple. I can do it in less than an hour in my driveway, start to finish. basically get the tire off, remove the center hub nut, tie rod end and brakes/hose out of the way, undo the six (i think) bolts that connect the halfshaft and drop that end and push the other end out (might need to hit it with a soft-faced hammer or other non-damaging piece). Reinstall it the opposite way, making sure to re-torque everything according to specs. easy peasy... i think i paid about 60-70 bucks for a re-man half shaft. they don't get any easier to change, the only special tool is the gigantic nut (1 and 3/8 or the metric equivalent)...

make sure you check your u-joints and grease'em and check your transfer case fluid, and play for the shafts going in...may surpise you. if you have auto 4wd those cases are a known problem and the noises can be deceiving..
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010