1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad habits while operating the plow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MileHigh, Dec 22, 2009.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Thought this might be a cool thread :eek:

-Everytime I drop my plow to make a pass..as I'm plowing a pass, I end up pushing my float button several times, even though it's already in float...it's pretty bad.:dizzy:

-Smoke a ton of cigarettes

-drink way to many 5 hour energies, rockstars, and red bulls.

For some reason^^^^ my stomach is always churning as I'm plowing.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

If I had to put my finger on any bad habits, it's not taking enough breaks. I run hard until the work is done and end up sick for a couple days after... :dizzy:

Only other semi-annoying bad habit I have while plowing is hitting reverse too quick in the torqueshift trans trucks. Others who own these things can relate, you have to be stopped completely before hitting reverse or it grinds... Kinda miss the 4r100's, they were a lot more forgiving in that respect... It's been 4 years, and I still forget sometimes rolling out of the pile... :mad:

3. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Yeap I would have to agree with the finger on the float button. I do it every time with my boss plow... Like I think it is going to go further down or something:blush2:

4. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Thats funny I do the exact same with the float and last year when I was a smoker i would go thru 2 1/2 packs in 10 hours.

One bad habit thats going to hurt me is once i start plowing a lot it turns into a race against myself and next thing you know I'm switching from D-R or R-D with out stopping (gonna work on this one this year)

5. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

If I had to put my finger on any bad habits, it's not taking enough breaks. I run hard until the work is done and end up sick for a couple days after... :dizzy: x2 on that for sure! and eating alot of gas station synthetic food. ummm but those zesty cicken & swiss are soooo good.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Last year I put in way too many hours with not enough sleep. Paid for it health wise. Got bronchitis in May or so. Lost a couple accounts, gave up a couple more. Most of them were low paying/PITA so it was no big deal. Only plowed twice this year, but I can already tell the difference.

Worst habit was not waiting for the truck to stop before shifting into reverse. Turns out it costs almost two grand to rebuild a 4L80e when you break a $50 reverse band. Now you would think that lesson would be enough to teach me. I am much better, but still do it occasionally. But overall I am much more concious of my reverse cycles. Make longer runs plowing, even use pull through parking spaces when shopping.

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

same here i dont stop unless its to get gas in the truck then grab a snack and a coke and back at it. feel like $h!t for the next 2 or 3 days after.

8. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I find myself hitting the down"float' button all the time too. I'm glad it's not just me.
    I smoke way to many cigs
    and when i been out there way to long i always try and see just how far my plow will throw a wall of snow and usually at one of my other guy's... Just love to catch one taking a nap and do that to him..
    I always end up chatting to anyone that will listen on the CB

9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

My worst habit is listening to the weatherband hoping to god the forcast is going to change during a bad snowfall, or praying for more snow on a night I feel like I have slept long enough to keep going.

10. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

LOL I hit the float button constantly if im not just holding it down already.

I think because it sucks so bad when ypu realize your not in float in your plow is sticking up an inch off the ground.

I need to eat more and better. If I even eat, its junk food.

11. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I'm not bad with pushing the float button when im plowing forward but i do it all the time when backdragging.

12. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

you should try the redline energy drink it beats all those!
    cigs is a real bad one!

13. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

You guys that are in the truck for 12-16+ hours must have a bad singing habit.. :laughing:

14. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

I'm another float button pusher. Not all the time, but every so often.

15. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Bad habit for me was

press that float button to keep plow down. Just got that bad habit from friend.

plow too close to fence

plow too fast while push heavy wet snow in middle of road

Not stop COMPLETE while shift R/D/R/D Quit do that after owner shift too early while moving 10 mph it bang so hard. He very lucky that F250's transmission held.

keep spin tires at 15 mph while plow WET heavy snow.

Owner's habit

plow too fast
    go reverse 30-55 mph
    rev 5.4L to 4,000-5,000 rpm
    not stop while shift gear he still do that now.
    spin tires at 40 mph while it moving 5 mph
    not keep gas tank full
    not check oil in engine it run dry several times. That result I make him sell that truck.

16. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is me also. Not enough breaks. I hit it hard and I usually throw up a few times through out the storm. I don't drink those energy drinks, my stomach would be churning from those within 10 minutes. I have a few coffees, but i try and stick to water and gatorade.

17. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Careful with redline that stuff is pretty bad. Your not supossed to drink a whole can.
    Mine would be the float button and bad eating/energy drinks. I don't ever feel they do anything but in my mind when looking at them in the cooler it just makes sense when I'm tired

18. turb0diesel

turb0diesel Senior Member

I dont listen to music when i plow
    but after im done plowin for hours i still hear my plow going thru out my day or in my sleep haha

19. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You guy's that like energy drinks try NOS, it's really good and doesn't have an after taste.. I like the regular but my buddy swears by the grape.

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I avoid caffeine as much as possible. I do keep a Moxie on hand for about 2 am.