1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Ground?.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blzn74, Jan 7, 2002.

1. blzn74

blzn74 Member

I got a problem, .. I bought an 81 HD 3/4 ton 4x4 so far the only thing wrong with it that Ive found is the temperature gauge starts to raise and fluctuates when the head lights are turned on and dash board accessories? Electrical is not my background. Any one have problems similar, any advice?

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

My bet is a bad ground to the instrument cluster

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

We just went through the same thing with the the voltmeter on our 88 S-10, it was bouncing all over the place. The ground wire was loose where it hooks to the sheet meatl under the dash.

4. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

I would have to agree with alan and plowking thats its a bad ground :D

5. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

just another thought..... The route for the ground on the temp gauge is from the gauge to the sending unit (resistor). Any shorts in this wire along its path will cause the gauge to jump.
    If you don't find your problem with the cluster, trace the wire to the sending unit and look for a frayed wire. It does sound like it is grounding into the light (dashlight) circuit.
    good luck