1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad gas mileage

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by pcs, Jan 25, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs Senior Member

I have a 97 F-150 2wd 4.2L v6. I can only get 185-200 miles on a tank of gas. I don't understand why. There is no leaks. Changed the spark plugs, air filter and a few other little things and no change.
  2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Member

Is this a new problem?
  3. 65hoss

65hoss Junior Member

It may be using more fuel because of the 6 cyl. It has to work harder to do the same job. I have the 4.6 v8 and it gets about 225 to 235 pulling the equip.
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The 4.2 is low on torque,any chance iis your driving habits?heavy foot,high speeds or long warm ups,and idling time kill mileage.
  5. pcs

pcs Senior Member

This has been happening for a few months now. This gas mileage is not pulling any trailer either.
  6. 65hoss

65hoss Junior Member

Could be the computer is screwed up. Not adjusting the amount of fuel used. I've had the computer on mine reprogrammed by dealership.
  7. SDF250

SDF250 Junior Member

I have heard that any new programs from ford are geared for LOWER EMISSIONS and could lower mpg