1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad gas gauge

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JTChevy, Jan 14, 2002.

1. JTChevy

JTChevy Junior Member

Need help folks. I have a "77" 4x4 chevy P-U. The problem is the gas gauge willn't go back down to E. I feel that it's a bad gound. Where should I look. Also the fuel pump is not pumping fuel up to the fuel filter. Thanks.

2. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

my first thought would be to try the sending unit. Before droping the tank to get the sender out, try to remove the wires and test it with another sending unit. If thats not available you can buy a 90 ohm resistor and check it with that ( the sender is variable from 0-90). hope that helps

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have found it is usually the ground wire attached to the top of the sending unit. A little wiggle usually sovles the problem. It is very hard to get to, a long screwdriver between the bed and cab should do it.