1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad front drive shaft?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by hairygary, Sep 29, 2010.

1. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I had a bad front axle seal on my 1998 ram 2500 leaking pretty bad, so I took it to the trans shop to have it done. They told me the front drive shaft is bad. They told me if I engage 4wd, it can destroy the transfer case. I am questioning how a front drive shaft is bad, I thought only the u joints go bad, and I actually had a new u joint put in it last winter (february). Can anybody tell me more about this, is it possible and if I try to put it into 4WD, will it break something. They also told me the track bar is bad, but I replaced that last spring.

Is this front drive shaft one that should spin freely if I in 2wd.

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the drive shaft is probably bent, which would cause your seal to leak. its not good for the transfer case because it will eat that seal up to and will cause a vibration that may crack the case or shorten the life of the bearings. i would bring the shaft to get it balanced before you do anything.

3. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

Ok, he is telling me the double cardin joint is locked up. apparently it the joint where it comes out of the t-case. There is a place that rebuilds this part around me for 125, but I have to remove the shaft myself. anybody removed the front dive shaft on these year ram 2500's before.

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

its pretty simple undo the u-joint clamps on the front of the shaft and theres four bolts towards the transfer case. very easy if all the bolts break loose.

5. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Go to Rock Auto .com and buy a remaned front axle, it will cost you the same as buying the U=joints and the double cardon joint and trying to rebuild it yourself, that double cardon joint is a PIA to do, there is a core charge you'll be credited for once you return your old axle, the seal should be pretty easy to change also once the driveshaft is out which is not hard to do either, Just did my 99 front shaft in Feb.

6. I went thru this same deal this summer. Had Cincinnati Drive Line build me a new one. I think it was around $325.00. Dealership wanted $800 !

I have a 1998 2500.

7. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Pull the drive shaft and bring it to any big truck drive shaft build shop. Have them rebuild it!!! When you reinstall replace the seals on both ends and check the transfer case output shaft for any slop. Universals are quite simple to do but those constant velocity joints are almost impossible. The good thing is the heavy truck repair places often run 24 hrs a day. In case of any issues in the middle of the night they will more than likely help you out!!!

8. hairygary

hairygary Senior Member

I had another shop check it out and he told me it was ok, but that it had a tiny bit of slop. I have since put it in 4wd and it seems fine. I think I'm gonna let it ride for now as it is only a plow truck, that gets about 3,000 miles a year of which 80-90% is in 2wd. I plan on selling this truck in the spring, so I will see if I can do without.