1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Fill level plug threads

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by PabstBlueRibbon, Jan 13, 2011.

1. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

So my fill level plug leaks. I check the pipe plug and that is all clean. I noticed that the threads on the pump housing are really chewed up/ cross threaded. I know that thread sealer is frowned upon with hydraulic systems. Any one got any fixes? I was thinking I am just going to have to tap the hole larger and get a bigger plug. I do not want to tighten the plug to tight as strip all the threads out then I would have a bigger problem then just a slow leak.

Also adding 1/2 quart should help the plow move faster correct? I had a leaking packing nut a while back and never thought about topping the system off.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Ever try re-tapping the hole to the same size threads?

Or yes you might have to go up one size bigger and also the plug

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

just make sure you clean it out real good if you go that route. mrtal shavings through a pump will wipe it out pretty quick.

4. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Buy a pipe tap that same size, cake it with

grease and run it through the threads. Then change the fluid a few times after cycling it and you should be ok. Is it a Ultra-Mount, Uni-Mount, etc?

5. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

was gonna take the fluid out and put a shop vac on the back side to caputure and flakes

Uni-mont, Its a great plow. Bought it second hand and have only had to change the Packing on the lift ram.