1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad E47 motor??? need help asap please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danmc, Jan 26, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc Member

OK, I need Plowsite's expertise in diagnosing my problem. I replaced B&C valves and coils a few weeks ago. Plowed two times for about a total of 4 hours without problems. I go out yesterday to do a little plowing at our service entrance and plow starts working real slow (if you can imagine that) and not sounding all that good. I get home and the plow would raise at a snail's pace but again the motor just sounded sick, like it was barely running. I originally thought maybe it was too hot or something. Assuming fluids and connections are ok, is this a sign of a bad motor?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm trying to get ready for tomorrow's event.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

First check battery and connections. Then check if alt. is putting out anything.

3. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

clean all connections...especially the ground.

4. djg0770

djg0770 Junior Member

don't forget to clean connections at the solenoid under the hood as well.

If it's the motor, Northern carries them fairly inexpensively for the E-47.

5. StanleyinMd

StanleyinMd Junior Member

Today my plow (Meyer) would hardly raise or angle. Took it in where I purchased the plow (bought new in 1996, never had a problem). Dealer said most likely ice in the line. They put a small electric heater in front of the power unit, drained all the fluids, flushed and refilled the unit. Ran the plow up and down, side to side a few times, flushed again and refilled. It works great now. Good luck!

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If you need a new motor, pm me i got a place in mich that you can get a new motor for 50 bucks + shipping!!!! And they are real quick to ship too...Rob

7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Your problem sounds like one I had on a new western.The bushings were shot in the motor, armature drags. It makes it growl real loud, run very slow if it runs, and drains major juice. Mine was easy to take apart and diagnose. The top end of the shaft had rust on it and tore up the bushing. I believe it got wet in storage before I purchased it. Good Luck

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind you can get the top cap with the "brushes" in it for the e-47 motors. Probably not the problem stated here but it may help someone in the future to know this or keep a spare. Millsupply.com is a good source for parts in Ohio, they ship too. They have all kinds of truck body parts too.

9. 4speed

4speed Member

Try the heat first. Mine did the same the other day, I warmed up the reservoir just a little bit with a propane torch and it worked fine. JUST A LITTLE BIT!!!!! Do'nt burn any O rings or seals! If that does'nt work, then it may be time for a cap and brush kit or a rebuilt motor. Good luck.

10. danmc

danmc Member

talk about a major downer - i took my motor off to test it - didn't realize i should have put bolts onto the two srews after taking the motor off - hit it with juice and the hole thing shot apart (major newbie mistake). I managed to get the thing back together and back onto the pump. I'm tightening the cable back onto the motor and whamo - the post snaps off. I call the local supplier (West Chester Supply in Flanders NJ) who I have a pretty good raport with through my work and they tell me I can't just get the top cap - have to get a new motor. Well, $117 dollars later (without tax) the thing still doesn't work. Thinking maybe it's the motor solenoid because when I tried to loosen the cable from it, the post would turn with the nut. Or is it supposed to do that?
    Anyone interested in a 7.5 meyer plow before I take a sledge hammer to it?

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's one of those old timers things, use a wrench to hold the post in place. Most times there is a place to hold the post from turning behind the mounting nut. Starters and motors will be screwed up if the power post turns. It's one of those things you learn by mistakes.

12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

No, the post on you solenoid shouldn't turn. If meyer's uses a plastic encased one like the western does, it's likely your bad motor heated up the relay with the extra amps going thru it. Then the tension on the cable is enough to turn the post in the soft melting plastic. I didn't think to tell you, but my relay went out too when using the motor while it was bad. Sorry about that. Hang in there, you'll get it all solved.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Check out http://www.angelos-supplies.com for your parts.Excellant prices and super quick shipping. No i dont know these guys, just passing on a good web site...Rob

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

In Central Ohio, you can get a motor real quick at Car Quest. I don't know if you have one near you. Around the Cols area, not all of the stores carry Meyers parts, only a select few. They come in handy on Sunday's though. I bought a new motor on a Sunday, Dec 14, our first plowable snow. I think it was $60.

15. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

My old motor did the same thing, what it ended up being, was the shaft in the motor has a copper bushing where it rides in the top cap where the brushes are, and the bushing was wore out on one side. I need to get a new bushing, then I'll have a backup motor. FYI