1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad E47 motor??? need help asap please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danmc, Jan 13, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc Member

How do I check to see if my motor is shot? I recently put in a new cab to plow wiring harness in, all of my grounds are good, etc...Everything was working fine now all of a sudden when I move my control stick left, right, and up I can hear the clicking of the solenoids (I believe) but the motor is not turning on.

SNOWPIMP Member

Put a jumper cable from the pos side of your bat and to your ground ground the pump and touch the hot side to the stud on your motor if it runs its good! Or you could take the motor off and do the same thing with a big battery charger on your work bench! Just Ground the motor and put the pos on the post!
  3. danmc

danmc Member

lety me see if i have this right: positive and negative jumpers get attached to my battery. other positive cable gets attached to pump. Am I grounding the pump with something entirely different (a separate cable) or the remaining black jumper cable? Is this set up bypassing the use of my switch?
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

12 volt + to stud on the motor. Ground to the case of the motor. Is the pump assembly still on the truck? If it is when you activate the raise switch or the angle switch does the relay under the hood make a solid click sound. If it does not most likely you have a different problem. You can jump the solenoid to test it by taking a screw driver and jumping it from the small stud to the battery side of the solenoid. If the pump runs the problem is wiring, connections or switches. If when you do this and the solenoid clicks but the pump doesn't run, look at pump motor or connections to it. The pump motors are about $50-60 if needed. If you need more help let us know. Just replaced the one on my truck, then took the old one apart and fixed the stuck brush, cleaned up and put it on the shelf for a spare.
  5. danmc

danmc Member

OK, this all started after I drained and refilled my hydraulics...
    I just went outside to try your suggestion and decided to move the switch to see if anything would happen....To sum it all up, I think I need a new cab switch - when I move stick up, plow moves left, when i move switch left, plow angles left, when I move switch right, plow moves left a little then moves to the right...
  6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

If the plow goes left when raising, check the B coil &/or B Valve. You can check for power at the coil with a test lite. You can check for magnetism with a screwdriver with the coil energized. The B coil is the coil with the red wire. The C coil, coil with the green wire will cause problems to the right. Same test procedures. Test for power & magnetism at the coils first. If OK that eliminates the switches. Valves or o-rings on the valves would be next, if you have power and magnetism at the coils. Let us know.
  7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

After rereading you post, check & focus on B coil & valve. Did you use the proper fluid. Winter grade hydraulic fluid with deicer? Did any moisture get in the system? It will freeze and cause all kinds of problems.
  8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

e47 problems

May I suggest a repair manual from the local dealer. They are under $10 and save a lot of time and trouble.

You have described 2 differant problems with your system. I use a volt ohm meter to trouble shoot any electric problems. I have found out that is much easier to use and not as hard on equipment.

The motor on the meyers pumps are non service type. If they fail you put a new one on. The man with the stuck brush was lucky to just have that problem.

I purchased the manual and follow there procedures and I have very little down time due to plow problems.

You will always pay for your education... it is expensive to just hang parts on rig till you guess the right part. A service manual is cheap education.