1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad dry rot on hoses

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by starspangled6.0, Feb 4, 2014.

1. starspangled6.0

starspangled6.0 Senior Member

My Hiniker 8.5' V plow is only 14 months old, but already the hoses are showing some serious dry rot. I noticed it last year, and of course this is a problem that gets worse, not better. Today, I swung by Truck Utilities to see what they could do about it, since they are the ones that installed the plow. Their response: "Hoses aren't under any warranty; only if they failed within a week or two after installation could we do anything about it since they're considered a regular-wear item." Fair enough. After being on the receiving end of so many customer complaints (deserved and undeserved), I try to make it a point to never try and ruin someone's day by putting up a stink while they're working.

However, after two the service managers took a peek at the hoses, they both concluded that what I was dealing with was totally abnormal. They think I can last the season without risk of a hydraulic hose failure, but on their own volition, they took pictures and are in contact with Hiniker to see about getting them replaced for free. I should know what course of action to take within a week. That kind of service makes me so glad I'm sticking with Truck Utilities for my main plow dealer! I shall update this thread as I get info from Truck U.

Plow hoses blowing out can be quite dangerous. For unreported reasons, a local municipal 1-ton plow truck recently burned to a crisp after they blew a hydraulic hose, one that was either hooked up to the plow or the transmission, and the fluid sprayed onto a hot engine bay, resulting in a fire.

2014-02-03 14.59.35.jpg

2014-02-03 14.59.48.jpg

2. starspangled6.0

Got a call back from Truck U today, and Hiniker wanted to replace the hoses ASAP, all at no charge to yours truly. Brought the truck in, dropped the plow off, and spent a couple hours at the nearby gym while they replaced the hoses. They even pulled a mechanic off of a different project to get mine done as quickly as possible :D. Looks like they replaced all of the fluid too. Can't believe how impressive these guys are!

3. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Props to that dealer. They got it right. Props to you for not going off like a bomb the first time you were told "no."

4. starspangled6.0

Thanks! This was a pretty positive experience, to put it lightly.

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Truck Utilities is typically a great company to work with!

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Did it sit out in the summer sun?

7. starspangled6.0

Nope. Under a tarp, which was under trees. The guy said it's actually best to take the tarp off, since it can create an "oven effect".

8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like sun rot or ozone rot.
    But outside under a tarp is more likely to just rust things as it will trap water.
    Did they happen to say if they had seen others like this? Could be a hose manufacturing problem.

9. starspangled6.0

He said this was the second set of hoses like this that has ever been seen by Hiniker.