1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad coils?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by OneBadDodge06, Jan 15, 2007.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

So I'm getting towards the end of my route and my check engine light comes on. I kept plowing and told the dealer that I would need it fixed asap. Then my plow quit working, but that was my fault. Burned up a cartridge and shorted out some stuff but hey fuses are great.

Turns out that two coils were bad. $100 later on my extended warranty and I'm feeling screwed! This truck only has 3316 miles on it!!! :realmad: So is it Chevy's practice now that when you change the oil you also got to spend a few bucks changing out coils???

Not to mention that the money I would have lost had this happened in the middle of a lot?? I bought this thing BRAND NEW and I'm starting to think that Dodge would be a better truck. Has anyone else started the practice of changing coils at every oil change???:mad:

2. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

No problems yet!

06 2500HD D-max,12k miles 8.5 Poly Meyers,No Problems

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If this is a brand new truck with 3300 miles on it, why did you have to pay a $100 deductible on an extended warranty to get it fixed?

4. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Well its an 04 but I only use it for plowing snow and it sits in storage at my parent's place over the summer. It only had a 36 mo. or 30K mile warranty. Soo to me its still practically brand new. Its 3 years old and was just now scheduled for its first oil change. But still......coils shouldn't go bad that soon. I got an extended warranty to cover it for 6 years or 60K miles and it has a $100 deductable.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, the coil's shouldn't have gone bad that quick.Although your's isn't the only one I've heard of, I haven't seen any widespread coil problem's plaguing the later GM's. If course since many part's are outsourced now more than ever their's alway the possibility of getting a few bad one's.

6. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I talked to some guys and they said that the reason why the coils went bad is just what you said, outsourced parts. But it doesn't matter what truck you buy anymore, major components are outsourced in foreign countries and doing things right probably isn't on their priority list. If it has tires you'll have problems!!