1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad clunk

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Dec 28, 2009.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

well the last storm of 12 inches+ i now have a clunk un the passenger side floor board. i cant figure out what it is and i want to make sure its nothing important. does any one know what this could possibly be its driving me up a wall and i cant find it!

2. the new boss 92

oh yea i forgot, its a 1992 chevy single cab short bed with a 5 speed trans with a boss 7'6 super duty plow!

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of a clunk. ???? When doing what???? A little more info ......

4. the new boss 92

only in reverse. its more of like a rattling clunk i dont really know whats under the truck but i do know that its not right and would like to get it fixed! and i dont know if its a common problem or not with the obs chevy or if something just came loose.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I might be having the same issue.

After the first storm with this truck my 89 K5 is making a bang noise under my passenger seat when I go in reverse. It only happens in 4 wheel not 2. It almost feels like the transfer case is slow at shifting into R. This is what is happening. I push a pile forward, shift into reverse with my foot on the brake, you can feel the trans shift into R, then after about 3-5 feet of backing up you get this bang under the passenger seat. Before this happened I installed new rear u-joints. The front U-joints looked good as did the trans mount. This is my 3rd K5 I'm plowing with and have never had this problem. The only thing different about this truck is that it has the auto-locking hubs and only 65,000 miles.

Does any of this sound like the same problem you are having?

6. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Exhaust? The exhaust on both of those trucks run under the passengers side floor board, thats where the cat is located, maybe you broke an exhaust hanger? Just a thought?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  7. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

Good thought... I will check the truck when I go home for lunch and will let you know.

8. the new boss 92

im thinking the same thing, but i removed the cat on my truck due to it doesnt need emmissions any more. im also thinking that to because one of my exhaust manifold studs broke. but when i get under there to wiggle it, it is tight. but does it really have enough flex to possible hit the floor board that hard in reverse?

9. the new boss 92

were is b&b he might know!?!?

10. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

nope, the exhaust hangers look good and everything seems tight.

New Boss - Does yours bang in 2 wheel, 4 wheel, or both?

11. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

Check your engine mounts, tranny mounts and the frame where it tapers in & up towards the engine bay. I had a '92 K1500 and the frame had cracked there. Welded it back together and added some gussets.

12. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I'll check tonight when I get home but wouldn't bang in both 2 wheel and 4 wheel then? I hope my frame isn't cracked!!

13. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I couldn't wait and the truck is only a couple miles from work so I went and checked. All the mounts look good and the frame looks fine at the bend on both sides. When I have an extra set of eyes I will put the truck in gear with my foot on the brake and rev the motor to double check those mounts but they looked good just sitting there and didn't move when I pulled on the pry bar.

14. the new boss 92

ok im going to go cheack for cracks and mounts and get back to you guys in a hour or so!

15. the new boss 92

i just cheakced it out my y pipe is kinda just hanging there and all the bolt from the manifold to the y pipe broke! oops time for headers!

16. the new boss 92

thanks for all the help guys i apprecheate it once again!

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Classic symptom when running the auto lock hubs on a plow truck due to the constant forward/backward direction change. When you reverse, the auto hubs briefly unlock and then relock, thus placing some slack in the front driveline which will be transmitted through the drivetrain and can appear to stem from the T-case or front drive shaft. Auto hubs are never a good idea on a plow truck and should definitely be changed over to manuals.

Run it long enough and you'll be forced too anyway as the autos will wear out/break anyway. :D

18. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

B&B - Wow your good!! :nod:Thanks for the info. Do you have a certain brand of hubs you prefer over another? I've never changed over hubs before and I don't have access to a lift. Is this something I can tackle myself or should I just bring it down to a shop? My mechanical abilities are decent but I'm by no means a ASE certified tech.

Am I beating on anything else using the auto hubs or can I as you say run it long enough until the hubs break. I just don't want to turn a $300 job into a $1300 job.

Thanks again for your help everyone!!

19. the new boss 92

i agree auto locking hubs suck

20. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

I had a 91 K5 Blazer, I switched over to the Warn all brass hubs, not the cheesy plastic ones, the never gave me an issue.