1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad check deadbeats

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mpriester, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

This is crap, one of my customers sent me 2 rubber checks and the bad part is i have 2 more invoices ready to be sent to them so i guess i'll be on the phone with them this morning. I'm going to tell them they will have to pay with a credit card as i can no longer take their checks because of it and if they decide not to go that route i will suspend service until it's current.the interesting part is we are suppose to get some snow over the next 3 days my main concern is they are under a contract with me and i'm a little worried about a slip and fall while its under suspension as to whether or not i'm still liable. its stated in my contract that if its 30 days late service will be suspended and this makes it late but by it being under contract i could still be liable. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this.
    Thank You: Mike
  2. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

My opinion, if they can't get you cash or pay by credit (since apparently their checks are not ever going to clear), I would terminate the contract (hope it's not a big money maker for you) and send the notice of termination to them via certifed mail with return reciept. As for re-couping the money for the services rendered already, you can take that to court. But you are right to be worried about a slip and fall claim while the service is only suspended, that will only get messy in court and cost you money anyhow in fees. My thought is to just terminate the contract completely, others may have different ideas though. Good luck!
  3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Thanks, its not a big account and with low snowfall money amounts are low. This is one of the ones that if they don't pay its probably cheaper for me in the long run to terminate and move on.
  4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

as far as I know this is a criminal offense.I see cases in paper constantly with cases of people being arrested for writing bad checks.File a criminal complaint and let the legal system bend them over!
  5. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

It's criminal if its done with the intention of theft by check. Also, you have to worry about bounced check fees, and the additional time taken to chase the cash. I had a contractor repeatedly send me bad checks. I sent him a note saying that I was going to file a report with the police and then file a small claims action against him. He paid right up. This was for several thousand dollars though. You're best just to term the contract or take a retainer moving forward. If its not worth the hassle, it isn't, ya dig?