1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad cat?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Scenic Lawnscape, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

I have a small leak in pre-cat and i was was wondering how you can tell if the regular cat is going bad, the truck seems kinda sluggish apon take off and im getting really bad gas milage, so i was thinking of taking out the pre cat and the reg cat and replacing it with a piece of exhaust pipe. will this make a difference

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

First, what kind of truck? How old?

If you start messing with emission control devices, ie. cat converters, not only is it against the law, you may be doing more harm than good to your truck. Unless it is a diesel, your engine is probably designed to operate more efficiently with a certain amount of back pressure. That back pressure is created by the cat converter. The other issue is with oxygen sensors. Cat converters are used to burn whatever unused fuel is in the exhaust. If you remove the cat, you risk the possibility of sending a signal to the o2 sensor that your truck is running rich and will cut the fuel delivery back, Thus reducing the power.

If you own a diesel, however, GUT THE CAT! The less back pressure the better.

3. Scenic Lawnscape

Scenic Lawnscape Senior Member

its a 91 f-250 with a 351

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I would start out by taking the truck to Auto Zone and having them check the computer. They wil do it for free.