1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Business

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Longae29, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

When I told a potential customer that I was trying to solicit that I would not be providing a bid for their property because they weren't interested in salt, she told me thats really bad business sense on our part. Then I tried to explain that we want to be able to provide the best service possible to our customers that use our services for each and every snowfall and freezing rain, and to add more customers for just plowing doesnt make that much sense for us, never had someone mad because I wouldnt bid......

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Business must be booming to turn down work. I would have bid the job. If I got it, and she asked why her lot looks so bad, then you can sell the salt.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

What nerve........sounds like a witch!

Even though we want as much work as possible, I politely decline all who don't want salt.

That's not bad biz.......that's cheapness and a true willingness to provide an unsafe workplace for either their tenants and\or co-workers. You are not obligated to follow crappy spec's and lower your standards.

4. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

The other problem is that not salting or sanding opens you up to claims that happen on that clients property that can be subrogated to your insured or yourself personally.

If I were you I would advise your clients that it is a necessity as well as a protector to you and your customers against possible claims for slip and falls and WC for employees. You can use it as a selling point: as a cost preventer for Insurance and Insurability and you would not be steatching the truth in any way. It will definatley show you know what you are talking about, even though you already do know what you are talking about, but you know customers!!!!

5. Longae29

I gave her the whole schpiel about liability and safety, she said that the products they manufacture are not tolerant to salt, to which i responded that there are other products, which she told me are just too expensive....PITA to deal with about quoting why in the world would we want to work for her. She's all yours 2COR

I want as much work as possible too, and I politely decline anyone who won't listen about salt or insists on a 2'' or higher trigger, there are plenty of fish out there who want salt and a 1'' trigger

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So, if I leave here 12 hours before it starts snowing there, I can plow her when the storm finishes. Then just follow the storm back home.

No problem :D

What kind of fuel economy can I expect hauling that blade from Maine to Wisconsin?

7. Longae29

hahaha, yep! the nice thing is on your way back you should be going with the wind. You better bid high, its only a 19050 ft2 parking lot.

8. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

unless otherwise it states in the contract, NO salting applications purchased by the commitee. Any slip & fall accidents are the responsibility of the property owners.

9. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Not to start a debate, But I know first hand that it would not hold up in Court, Well U.S. Court at least in the even of a loss or a claim. Did not happen to me personally but a couple of business I insure. It is all up to Interpretation by the lawyers and Judge. But it is a good start to protect yourself becuase you can then prove intent

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

One of my properties has a new manager this year. During our initial meeting, he told me he doesnt want any salting. He said it drained their budget last year. I went back and looked over the records and we only did $1,700 in salt for them last year.

I called him back and explained that he is putting his establishment at a very high risk for accidents. He said that he would have to see how the ice "trends" during the first few snowfalls in order to make a decision.

This contract is a nationwide workout facility that also has a pool and a basketball court. There was also a song containing four letters written about it in the disco era. Needless to say, there are maybe a thousand people coming and going all day that are going to be walking over the ice.

I have never had someone say they dont want salt. I'm kinda scared by what could happen if someone falls.

Any advice?

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Too funny

Leave the biker jacket at home.xysport

I wouldn't get too wound up about it. Even the Walmart here has gone to store manager directive for applying salt. Just make sure your contract has clear verbiage that salt is only applied at customer request, not responsible for any slip/fall, blah blah blah.

It won't take too many complaints for them to get back on the salt brigade.

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yes....a very sad day in musical history.