1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Blades?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nickhanso, Feb 22, 2012.

1. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

I have a Western Vplow and it seems to scrape alright.. leaving a little dusting on concrete and digging a little on gravel. My question/problem is the middle rubber/mount seems to keep the blades off the driveway a little and the bolts are scraping. Do I need new blades or just to replace the rubber. and yes I'm new to this... :) But seem to be having some fun. Thanks.

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

you have any pics of it hook up on the truck So everybody can see what you are talking about

3. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

Sorry had to quick take them... Little dark outside tried my best for tonight could post better ones tom. afternoon.

news 002.jpg

news 005.jpg

school 019.jpg

news 001.jpg

news 004.jpg

4. Antlerart06

There be somebody can help you I dont run that setup
    I run my rubber between the wear bar and the trip edge

5. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

Thanks! Figured I'd post something soon just in case I do need new blades and could possibly be doing more damage than good.

6. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

Do you have a western? And also how should I have my chain adjusted? Should it be tighter when it lowered or loose?

7. Antlerart06

Looks like you still lots of wear left but the bolt on your rubber does look close
    Wear edge looks like is wearing even
    Is there any adjustment to pitch it forward more So it wont wear your rubber bolt off
    Maybe somebody that has the same setup will post up

8. Antlerart06

I have a9.6 MVP + After the first wear edge was gone I made my own wear edges
    You want your chain to be loose so it can float
    Did you mount the plow your self or did you buy the truck with the plow on it or did a dealer mount it

9. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

I bought the truck with the plow on it. I have took it on and off about 6 times this season with the lack of snow in WI. How loose do you want it? Sometimes going over bumps or leaving my driveway the blade scrapes I'm thinking I need to choke up on the chain a little and maybe fix the pitch? How I fix the pitch I don't know. :) I do have a new set of rubber for the middle of the plow to replace just would like to figure out what the problem is before I install the new rubber and it get's ripped apart again.

10. Antlerart06

You want at least 3-4 inches of free travel
    Truck mounts may need to be raised
    What might help out need a side veiw of the plow on the ground hook up to the truck Hold camera about 1-2 ft off the ground stand back about 8-10 ft Make sure the truck is on leavel ground and have blade in straight mode

11. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

K I'll take more pictures in the morning. Thanks for your time!! :) Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this.

12. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

there is no pitch adjustment on the unimount or ultramount MVP. That was one of the new features of the MVP+. The center of the hitch pin should be 9-1/2" to 10-1/2" off the ground with the blade on the ground. If it's lower that might be part of the problem. If there is no adjustment in the mount you may need to get the front end of your truck higher.

13. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

I did look at the mount and there are still two un used slots that would make the plow sit higher which I think could be the culprit. I'll have to try adjusting that. I'll also measure the hitch pin. Thanks.

14. Antlerart06

Think that should work help pitch it forward

15. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

How hard of a job is it to re mount the mount? I seen there is like 4 bolts. Is it heavy? Should I use a jack or another person to help hold the mount while re mount.

16. Antlerart06

isnt to hard a floor jack or a buddy will help

17. nickhanso

nickhanso Junior Member

Just measured the pins and they are at about 9in from the ground. Planning on working on the truck tom. Will keep you posted.

18. Antlerart06

Think you are on right path To fix ur problem

19. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

oops, I need to correct myself. .. there was pitch adjustment on the ultramount mvp, but not on the unimount. so it still doesn't effect your plow, but just wanted to make that correction.

20. Rumble

Rumble Member

First the rubber center doesn't appear to mounted correctly. I have a MVP ultramount and the rubber is mounted inside two cup like brackets. Also the rubber piece you have is torn so it should be replaced. I have replaced my edges and center rubber kit three times and I always run the edges down pretty far. The bolts that hold the center rubber in are worn half way thru. I just put a new edge on so I cant snap any pictures. Also the problem with replaceing the center rubber without the edge is that it will be longer than the edge and need to be cut. I had to do this one time when I ripped the center rubber in half.

below is diagram from westerns site, look at 44 and the center rubber should mount inside the u shapped brackets.
    [​IMG]