1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad battery?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jonw440, Jan 22, 2005.

1. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

My 01 ram acted weird last storm. I was plowing the first lot for about 3 minutes and noticed the plow was raising real slow.
    I heard a warning bell and looked at dash and the "check gauges" light came on. The volt gauge said 6VOLTS, then slowly went back up to 15Volts.
    The battery is the original one. The alternator is a 136Amp and the battery is a 750 cranking amp original battery.
    I have noticed the volt gauge has been staying around 15 or 16volts when I am just driving around. Could the battery be going bad? I will check all of the connections, but with a 4 year old battery I might just replace it anyway.

2. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

I'm not an electrical guru, but most autoparts stores will test the battery or alternator if you take it in to them.

3. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Possible causes......

Battery ( check w/voltmeter )
    Alternator ( use voltmeter & check output terminal )
    Corroded terminals ( clean with battery disconnected )

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Usually when the volt meter shows a high charge rate for a continued time it is because the battery is bad and demanding a charge from your alt. This will burn out your alt.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Just replace the battery. Make sure you clean your wires before putting them on the new battery.

Single batteries in plow trucks live a harsh life. Your running on borrowed time after 3 years or so.
    Dual batteries connected together may get you another year or so.

6. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

I replaced the battery (820 cca @32 degrees) (650 cca @ 0 deg)
    I cleaned ALL wire ends,with sandpaper and replaced the negative battery terminal. It still goes down to below 7volts if I cycle the plow more than 4 times in under 10 seconds. :realmad: I DID replace the top seal on the E47 and the nylon bushing inside the pump(Leaked real bad).
    Could the new seal be making to much resistance? I can push it down by hand if I put the lever in "float" so it isn't bound up. But this has only happened since I replaced the seals...........
    With the truck idling it is getting 14.13 volts at the battery (600R.P.M).
    Anymore ideas?
    With the Whalen dual rotators on and the flashers on, fan on high interior light and under hood light on it's 14.05 volts at the battery.

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Pump motor may be going bad. They will start to draw alot more amps just before they quit.

8. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I was having a good drop in volts in my dodge. I ended adding a second battery and no more problems. I would look at getting a new battery and think of maybe adding a 2nd if you get a good drop still. Have you had to jump start the battery before... may have decreased the life of it.

9. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

Never ghad the battery in need of jump. The ONLY time the volts go down is when I raise or angle the plow.
    I think the plow motor is going..........

10. Bolts Indus.

Depending how heavy your plow is you will allways get a voltage drop when raising or operating the plow. The big concern is what is your volt meter reading when not operating the plow. Should be a steady 14 plus volts. It should return to the 14 plus quickly after ceasing a plow movement. Approx. 10-20 of not operating the plow should show a slightly lower reading. Hope this is clear and helpfull.

11. ramit

ramit Junior Member

I am new to this forum but i had to say, I too was having the excessive load problem on my 99 dodge. It has the plow prep package so it has the 136 alt. I added another battery and it still does it.The plow is only three years old and i only use it for my own driveway and my parents.Just today i used it and when i activated the plow it almost killed the truck. I stopped and reved the engine and the belt squealed and it came back up to 14 volts. Is one of the batteries getting weak? I am considering replacing both with 1000 cca betteries. the ones in it now are a 750 and a 650 i think. western claims all you need is a minumum 650 and you only need one. :confused:

12. Bolts Indus.

Your alt.belt is slipping.

13. jonw440

jonw440 Senior Member

It was the pump motor.
    Dealer installed a new one ($134.00) and all is well!
    I could have bought it for 50.00 from Angelo's, but I needed it last night.
    Oh when I drove in the garage at the dealer he raised and lowered the plow a few times and said, The plow motor is fine, it's your alternator......
    I said change it anyways.........
    It was the pump..I love it when I'm right!! :cool:

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I love it when Im right too. As I stated in the previous post, I thought it might be the plow motor.Glad you got it fixed and didnt go buy a bigger alt, more batteries , etc.Also thanks for letting us know what the problem was. Too many
    people never post as to what fixed their problems.

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Just be warned, a weak battery will kill a motor!

As volts drop, amps rise and they will burn out a motor.

16. ramit

ramit Junior Member

My plow is only 3 years old .Are you telling me i need a new pump? It probably only has 50 hours use on it.I installed 2 brand new 1000 cca batteries today and it still dims the lights.This is starting to get frustrating.Any other suggestions? :dizzy:

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Your lights will still dim when lifting the plow....even with dual batteries.

18. ramit

ramit Junior Member

Yes. I even adjusted the quill so it would raise quicker but it still dims the lights. I try to avoid plowing at night just for this reason.

19. ramit

ramit Junior Member

Sorry TLS i misread your last post. You say the lights will dim with two batteries? I see other operators plowing and no signs of dimming so i assumed there was a problem with mine.

20. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Dim, like real dark and yellow? Or flicker?

Mine slightly dim and flicker with the surge. On my old truck with dual batteries, all I got was a slight flicker...Not much dimming.