1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bad Ball Joints/Bearings

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by chcav1218, Feb 21, 2009.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I just checked the ball joint and bearings on the truck, (lifted each tire off the ground and checked for play in and out and up and down), and it seems like in the rear I'm getting about 1/8" play up and down, and none in and out, and in the front, I'm getting about 1/8" play in both directions. Is this within the normal range or should I have them looked at in the near future?

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Well they are showing signs of wear,whats the mileage on the truck and how many years of plowing. Its better to live with the devil ya know than the one you dont. So you are aware of it I would put it on your to do list when the winter season is over

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh i was thinking of doing it sometime over the summer. It's got around 160k so its gettin up there, but this is its first year plowing

4. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I would be very concerned with the wheel bearings. Are they the hub&bearing assembly type? If you have anti-lock brakes your sensors are in the bearings, your ABS light comes on and the bearing fails shortly after. I know, it happened to me. Save yourself downtime, lost income and towing charges and fix it right away.

5. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

the ball joints on those chevy's arent too hard. My ford is hard because you have to take the axles out of the front end. I did ball joints in my old chevy 3500. it was a 2000. truck had 245k on it but looked brand new. and it needs ball joints.

6. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

My ABS light hasn't come on but my 4WD light has, maybe this is related?

7. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Does the 4wd light come on when the truck is not in 4wd? On mine the ABS light came on and about 40 miles later the bearing was fried.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

yeh it goes on and off pretty randomly, but its done this for a long time

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

the abs light does that in my car. do you hear the bearing making noise when you are driving the truck?

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

lol, if it was i dont think i'd be able to hear it over my exhaust. But for some reason I feel like theres some grinding going on back there. I might just be paranoid cus I felt it once know I think its there all the time

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

take it apart and check it and if it is shot you will know lol. I changed the front wheel bearing in a grand prix before for a friend and I took it apart and it kinda just fell apart it was so shot lol. I would replace it tho. especially with 160k on it. my guess it is the original.

12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Yeh I'll take a look at it, I know they're not very difficult to do

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya the bearings arent. the ball joints you will need a press to get the bearings out and back in.

14. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

i can probably borrow the press

15. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Ok, I talked to the parts department at my dealer today. They say I can't just get the upper ball joints, I have to get the entire arm, but when I seach online, I see just upper ball joints available for my truck. WTF? Also, I can't just get bearings from them, I have to order the entire hub at $380 each! If I was to replace all these parts at their prices, plus the rear brakes and rotors that I need, it would be nearly $2500 for a truck I paid $7k for, and thats if I do all the work myself, AND i don't find any other problems along the way (I know, not likely)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!#$^%$&%$

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  16. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

Yes the hub and bearing comes as an assembly. Check online at Rock Auto or Car Parts Wholesale. If you have an Autozone the will price match if you have a printed lower price estimate.

17. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

oh sweet, theres an auto zone right down the street. Do you know what the deal with wth upper ball joint is? Do i need to get the whole arm or can I get just the ball joint?

18. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

According to what I see you can just replace the upper ball joint.

19. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Thats what I thought, idk what this guy at the dealer was talkin about

20. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

You should be able to get the hub and bearing assembly for a little over $200.