1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BAD, BAD, BAD Day...one less customer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RidgeCon, Jan 3, 2005.

1. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We have had a lot of snow lately and then we had some really mild temps. Most residential customers got us to sand their drives because really icy. We have this one customer who would not go for sand even though he has a real water runoff problem across his driveway. Well yesterday and I went to plow his driveway (should have told him I wasn't going to until he got it sanded) but I did after the first pass in I was backing slid on the ice and racked up the rear bumper on the truck against a tree. I get out of the truck to look at the damage and I fall breaking 2 ribs, my kneecap, dislocating my knee and dislocating my shoulder. The @#$%^ just looked out the window at me laying there and I had to use my cell phone in my pocket to call one of my other guys to come and drive me to the hospital. He came out when my other truck arrived and said "Oh I just though you were fixing something under the truck".....!!!!!!!! what an @@##$$%. I called him today and gave him the name of another contractor and just told him that we can't do his yard anymore under these conditions. I hate having to do that but we tried to work with him for a few years and he is unreasonable.

Anyway, what fun yesterday was.. :( :cry:
  2. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

get well soon :)
  3. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

sorry to hear about your day. I wonder how long till you get a bill for the tree :nono: hope ya get better soon
  4. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

My wife and I were joking about that last night. We were wondering the same thing. :)
  5. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you get well soon. :waving: Breck
  6. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your fall. Hopefully you will make a speedy recovery and will be back at it before you know it. Best Regards.
  7. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your fall. Hope you get well soon.
  8. alittle1

alittle1 Member

If you were invited on to the property, either by a contract with him or a request to look at he driveway, then you could probably try out his homeowner's insurance policy on your personal injury claim!!!! I would bet you after that you would have no problem selling him on the salt and sand. Just a thought.
  9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Talk about biting your tongue! I think most people on this board would have torn that guy a new A-hole, that is extremely level headed of you to just walk away and give him another contractor's number.

10. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

It was hurting too much to do anything but just get out of there...but I thought of it afterwards :gunsfiring:

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Get Well

Which knee did you dislocate? Hope it wasn't your "gas pedal" knee! Get Well Soon! :drinkup:
  12. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

well i hate to hear that you got hurt. Hope you get better real soon.
  13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I feel for ya, your a true professional for how you handled it. I would try out his homeowners, what the hey. Get well soon :drinkup:
  14. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Must be strong or have a bunch of pain pill's in you.

I had my kneecap broke and ACL torn in 99. after 3 surgeries and almost 3 years of physical therapy and mucho pain daily it is still a disabling injury.

Get documentation and his home owners policy and a good Attny. with that type of ordeal and what may come later it may max out any policy or cash you may have personaly. If he was aware of the problem and had service's offered to him to remedy the problem and refused on his property then he is libel.

If you tell or have told the hospital or your ins. company that you were injured while working/plowing then they may/can refuse payment and call it a workmans comp case. If they pay expect your payments to go up.

A knee is nothin to mess with man CYA now so you wont be SOL later.

Watch when you walk on ice/snow now man as any slip could cause you more pain then you may have had up to this point.

Good luck and hope you're a quick healer.

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

Damn man that is some bad luck and I "We" all on this board hate to hear something like this. Hope you have a quick recovery and get back out to make some more money soon.

Get well.