1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bad alternator

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by killed300ex, Jan 5, 2006.

1. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

wondering what would cause the volt gauge on a 2005 dodge 2500 to fluctuate greatly when plowing?(8 ft Boss Plow) THe truck has plow prep & tow package but tongiht i was using the truck(friends) and plowing back a yard lots of short pushs angling back and forth when all of a sudden i looked down and it says check guages my volts are bottomed out then it came back to normal but everytime i angled the plow it would drop significantly dimming light ect. I was wondering if by chance it has a bad alternator or battery. Help the truck only has 1300 miles on it.
    Evan

2. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i dont think it is the alt. reason being if it was the alt it would go dim and not get any brighter.

i would lean toward it being a Battary not having enough amps to withstand both the plow and the lights.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

bad battery (s), bad connections on the battery (s), not enough battery reserve for the plow, bad connections on the plow,
    Start checking connections and go from there. Short plows are horrible- eat alot of battery juice and little time to recharge. Odds are you have a single battery in the truck. If so, add a second in parallel.
    Not likely on a new truck like that, but a dieing alt CAN cause similar- the GEN light comes on and may return to normal, but not constantly- only when worn brushes stick in the holders.

4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My 1500 does the same thing when I angle alot. I just think the plow draws so many amps the alt. cant keep up. Especially if you dont have the rpms up. I try to angle or raise my plow while im moving, seems to help.

5. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I agree! Also, drive around for 5 mins. or so after/between jobs. The higher RPMs help the alt. charge the battery.

An alternative is to let the truck idle for 5-10mins after plowing. While not as good as driving around, it still allows the batterie(s) time to charge. If you do that, make sure you leave your trans in Neutral as well. That way the fluid will circulate through the cooler.

6. killed300ex

killed300ex Senior Member

today i spent some time looking and trying to figure out why it was doing this. its wierd you can use the plow and it draws some volts, drops down to 10 or so but seems to stay there then all of a sudden it just drops off no reason. today it stayed bottomed out for a couple of second before it came back, then was fine for the next couple minuted and couldnt get it to do it again. I looked at the battery and it is 750 cca is it to small of a battery? or anyone have some more ideas?
    Evan