1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup trucks???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProSno, Sep 21, 2003.

1. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

How many of you have at least one backup truck you maintain and keep ready just in case? How many of you only have one truck period? I'm thinking of getting a used truck and plow just in case, it could even be slightly hammered who cares as long as it starts and plows. Whats your thoughts on this?pumpkin:
  2. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I currently run two trucks during a storm. I am beginning to think that I would like to find a back up just in case. I know I do not want to have the whole route if one truck goes down. I say if you got themoney go for it. You can always try to sub it out to someone with the agreement that if your truck goes down you can pull your truck with them.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm a one-man operation with a route that only justifies one truck. But I've got a back up. More by accident, I guess. When I bought the 3500 for the sander, it came with a 9' plow. The other one is a 150, so I don't have a backup for the sander.
  4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

We run two plows. I am setting up my 93 Chev this fall so it has the wiring and mounting kit so if one of the trucks breaks down I can pull the blade off and put it on that truck as a backup. This way I don't have to buy a plow for the backup truck, just 450 bucks for the mounting kit and wiring. I also have a backup pump sitting in the shop ready to go if needed.
  5. Greenscape4u.co

Greenscape4u.co Senior Member

back up is always good insurance whether its another truck or a buddy in the business as long as you're prepaired to return the favour. I always make a habbit of getting to know the other guys in the business , share ideas or experiences.

My back up is my 2002 New Holland LS 170 , sits most of the summer but when I need another unit a skid steere is handy !

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

im putting a plow on my dodge this yr
    and will make one of my older trucks the backup

also i drop the ins.and park my two plow trucks from may -oct.

to save money

7. Midnight

Midnight Junior Member

I have 1 truck working on rebuilding a blazer for a backup.
  8. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

ATVs also make a nice back up.(Depending on your route, and local cops)
  9. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Good to have a back up truck of your own or another contractor that you can call on - back each other up.
  10. Santo

Santo Banned

I'm hoping CARDOCTOR has my back this season. I know I got his.
  11. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i normally run three trucks for plowing and a dedicated salt truck but i have a plow for the salt truck in case of a big storm or another truck needs some work.
  12. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am currently running only one truck. '02 Chevy 2500HD pickup. Since it is new, it should be very reliable and I should not have a problem with it for many years to come.

Also, at least for here in NY, in most case if you have another truck, it will need to be insured if you are taking it on the road. You cannot just simple swap the plates. You will have to pay double insurance, which is a senseless thing to do. If something should ever happen, I know a few guys around here that can help me out.
  13. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

We currently run three trucks and one salter. The guy we do sub work for has our backs when our trucks break down. Last year on of our trucks went down, and he let us borrow one of his two trucks last year for a few hours to finish. If I was in your shoes, I would find a sub to take over just in case. Otherwise you have to pay ins on a vehicle you might never use. And your still making good money with a sub... Unless you make enough to justify... just my .02
  14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That is exactly my point. It would be senseless to pay insurance for a vehicle you might never use, plus you need to have a place for backup vehicle to park or storage, and keep up with maintenance. It would be better off hiring a sub to finish the route for you.
  15. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

IMO......how many.....?!

subs can you find when your in the middle of a storm? Id buy the back up truck....in our case we have many commercials that wouldnt wait until we found a sub! Im sure you could find a sub after he finishes his route....but by then it's toooooo late. Buy a old pick up...sink a few thou into....if you dont use it.....sell it in Spring for what ya put inot it!
  16. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

Back up trucks

I agree with everyone else about getting a backup truck. We're in this to make money and I would rather have the ability to hop in one of my back trucks then sit on the phone trying to call for back up. Insurance on the truck isn't all that much especially if you get an older rig. I can't count how many times I help a couple of guys out and am still waiting for the favor to be returned. Hell, I was going to get a case of fluid and a guys asked me to pick him up some and still haven't got money back for it! Everything changes when theres 6-8" of snow on the ground. everyone is first and if your broke down,,, sorry to say but your the last thing on everyone elses mind. Get a back up truck. You can find uses for it year round and make it worth while.
  17. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

Currently I only run two plow trucks with sanders, one truck with only a sander but use it to pull one of the S250 Bobcat to jobs (if needed), and use our shop truck (no plow or sander) to pull the 763 Bobcat to jobs (if needed). So I don't really have a back-up plow truck, although if I do get in a bind and need one I have my fathers 2 back-up trucks/shop trucks that I can use (84 F-250 6.9L with 7.5' plow and 90 F-350 7.3L with 8' plow). But between the two Bobcats, 590 Case tractor loader (usually in storeage for winter), and 545 Ford tractor loader (used to load salters) I have never needed a back-up vechile.
  18. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I bought a back up truck this year. I currently plow with a partner and we both have older equipment. I never had any trouble last season, but my partner did. He lost an alternator 1 storm, and broke a packing nut on an angle cyl. on another.

On both occasions I had to finish our route myself. If my truck had given up, we would have been screwed.

This year we will have a spare. Either of us could jump into it as necessary. All 3 trucks will have Westerns and all parts will be interchangeable. All 3 will be set up with tow straps, CB radios shovels, ect.

Hopefully this will give us an edge over the competition this year.
    Mark K

Heres my under construction plow truck today. We had some rain and had to go test the 4 wheel drive.

It worked.
    Let it snow.

mud pics 001.jpg
  19. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Nice truck speedracer241, you've got to love those old Dodge Rams. I'm sure you'll get a response from grasshpper, that almost looks like his old Dodge.:)
  20. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't be without a backup truck.When the snow's flying,and everyone is busy,so are all the subs,so getting help may be a problem.

We always have backup trucks.Having similar trucks with the same type of plows makes it easier because you steal parts off the plow only,or even just swap plows,not the whole truck.

You don't have to insure them either,as most insurance policies will cover you for 15 days for a different vehicle until you notify them.