1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup Truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Sep 2, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I posted a thread on this a while ago. I have an '03 F-250 with a Fisher 8' HD. Speedcaster 2 spreader. Last year I had 7 commercial lots and plowed myself or had in other truck to help. This year I have a 165,000 square foot lot. 8 nursing homes, 2 assisted living properties both with over 30,000 square feet. I do have another truck working for me with a curtis 8', but am worrieid about equipment failure at 2 AM!! As we all are..what do you guys run for extra trucks/finding good drivers.I will make enough in 1 storm to make all the payments for the year on a 2004 f-350 with 8' fisher.just wondering what you all do for backups//thanks

2. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Work w/ other contractors

I'm a general contractor, so I have a back up truck, but I don't count on that either. I work closely with other snow removal contractors as an effective means of back up. Most of the time we "trade services" instead of charging each other. In a situation where I need to be totally bailed out, I will pay over the going rate to thank someone for taking care of my business. If it's a lot I charge $500 on, I'll give the entire $500 to the person who bailed me out. It's much wiser to protect your business than make a percentage on everything. With the age of your equipment, you should be ok. I also get my equipment serviced every fall by the local dealer to be careful. I have also used the same dealer for 20 years and he has been very responsive when I have needed service, Use a dealer who is close to you in case of an emergency. Good luck this winter.

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

backup truck

I didnt get too many responses to this post yet, but hopefully will get some input. I found a 2001 Dodge 2500.4x4 with the 5.9. it has a 8' fisher mm2. dump body insert.27k miles..reg. cab.. Does this sound like a decent truck?? I think so, I know the guy selling and he is getting out of the business. He is asking $9550. obo for the truck. most even close are around 12k..sound too good to be true? just wondering what you all think.thanks and think snow

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I hope they don't want to all be done by 8 am! The 4 acre lot will take about 4-6 hours alone with 2-4 " with a truck and 8' plow, I would seriously look at a rental of a loader and pusher for this lot alone, and let the pickups do the other lots. Hope they don't have a performance clause in your contract that says if you don't perform they can hire it done and charge you. I don't know your average snowfall in RI, so maybe this would work, but the work you outlined is way beyond what I would consider with 2 pickups in my area.

Bill

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Last year we had about 11 1-3 inch storms, but they all started around 6 am.tough to get the lots open in time. I am planning on leaving one truck at the large lot the entire duration of the storm. Then I can run between that and the other jobs to keep them open. I want this other truck as a backup, but also to run so we have three trucks running.Hopefully we will get some snow. I dont have a license to run a loader so that is out for the season. Maybe next year a loader with a 16' pusher.we can all dream.

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

gpin; gives good advice
    My dealer (FORD) has a shop truck and I have a set of keys to it if I brake down. I also have several other plowers that will back me up if needed in return I will do the same for them. if you want a backup then buy a new truck for your self and use your old one for backup the interust rate could not be better.

8. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Back up truck

The $ on the 01 Dodge looks good, but it's worth getting it checked out. If it needs brakes all around that could be in excess of 1k. I'm not familiar w/ Dodges but the u joints could add up too. The advice from above is good, make your current truck, you know how it has been maintained and buy a new truck. It may be more $ up front or another payment, but you know what you have. The unexpected, a transmission or a transfer case, can be a big surprise.

9. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I am no expert by any means but I would recommend finding a truck without a plow and putting one on it. Some guys are very hard on trucks while plowing snow. Alot of unseen damage can be done on the transmission, transfer case and about everything else. Just my $.02

10. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

backup truck

thanks for your info guys. I called on the dodge, and the guy actually wanted 19,500!! I think he figured he would advertise cheap to try and get rid of it.I have a dealer with a 2001 f-350 reg cab for 18,500 no plow. They all seem to have a lot of left over '04 f-350 reg.s with 8' fisher for mid 20's. I think they payment wouldnt be too bad. It would be cheaper than a breakdown and having to pay out for another company to do the job.Just get nervous with more payments.we'll see.i will post a pic of whatever i get.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

He advertised it for $9550, then wanted $19,500 when you called???

Even if this is a private citizen, I'd threaten a lawsuit. At least notify the advertising department of the newspaper.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Could just as easily be an innocent typo in the paper.... $9500 vs $19500

13. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

backup truck

Well, today I found a 2001 dodge 3500 dually long bed for $21,200.v-10 never been plowed slt laramie.I guess i will go check it out. I know a few guys with plows but all say a 4 acre lot is too big for my current set up. I guess it comes down to faith that it will snow to make the payments. I am trying to spend as little as possible without getting a lemon. I already dealt with one before.Any thougts on a second truck.something i can run in a 4 acre lot, and another 2 acre.i have the f-250 for driveways.thanks