1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup truck..... Your best truck or worst truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Freshwater, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Just looking for some feedback. What are your thoughts, how do you work it? If all your trucks are good your all set. Some guys park the beater in the yard just in case. I'd almost have a trust issue with that setup. Some guys keep the brand new truck parked. Some guys run all trucks with smaller routes, this is how I've done it.
  2. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Operations manager's truck is the backup truck for us. We also have a spare skid and push box sitting if needed.

I'd hate to have a POS as the backup, because it seems like you only need the backup in the worst storm of the year...the same storm that generally tries to find the weak link in the POS's.
  3. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Yeah, In my experience the beater wants to be driven. You drive it and can't kill it. As soon as it sits, it's over.
  4. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I have a bad habit of running at 110% without any designated backup. Need to get better at that. Lol
  5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Winner winner
    Once a truck sits it over
    My personal 2015 f350 platinum is the back up and one of my workers has his truck as a spare back up
    Hope for no issues just got 6 new trucks this last 2 months no more 6.0
  6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Or back up truck is a floater, meaning it is out every storm helping where needed. If a truck goes down there is no rush to go get the other truck. The guy in the back truck just fills that spot.
  7. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I always liked the idea of having the dump/salt trucks sit during the majority of the storm while the pickups and loaders did most of the work and could be called in as a backup when needed
  8. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

My truck is the backup, otherwise I just help out here and there.
  9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Funny question, but i agree, it should not be the oldest. We have the oldest that sits as a backup technically and then one of our newest "my truck" most of the time sits... i'll drive one of the other trucks or let my truck sit unless we need to have it out. Worse case scenario, both old and newest are out then in a bad storm.