1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backup truck question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by raylesk, Jan 1, 2007.

1. raylesk

raylesk Junior Member

I need a backup and was looking at Bronco II, s-10 blazer and jeep cherokee. Anyone have any comments on which might be the strongest for driveway use?
    Thanks
    Ray

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Well, I bleed Chevy Orange, but in this instance I'd have to recommend the Jeep. Very stout drivelines, motors last almost forever, plus they are a dime a dozen and easy to maintain. The little Blazer would be okay, but the ones I had got stuck way too easy even without a plow, the little mini-IFS seemed to have poor traction on the littler trucks. I know plenty of people have used the Bronco II with success, but it's a Ford so I arbitrarily hate it. Little more expensive to repair and harder to find parts for. You can find a 90s parts Cherokee for dirt cheap everywhere you look.
    The Jeep is readily available used with the I6 4.0 motor, which is all the power you can use. The Bronco had a couple of doggy small V6s, and the Blazer either had a doggy 4, a doggy V6 or the big 4.3 V6 after 1988 which had lots of power but likes fuel too much.
    I'm looking to build a Wrangler or a CJ for a fun driver in the summer and a capable little backup plow in winter.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

x2 again. jeeps take a beatin. and that solid front axle is great.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

BLAZER all day long. Hands down. same as a c-10 pickup or 1500

5. Detroitdan

He said s-10 blazer. If it were a full size blazer I would agree.

6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Another vote for a Jeep here. You just can't kill them.:waving:

7. Detroitdan

I can kill anything with wheels.

8. green frog

green frog Senior Member

Green Frog Snowplowing

I have been using a 2000 cherokee sport for 4 years now. It works really well, I average about 20 residential accounts and help with commercials. I use a western lsx plow 7'2".

9. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

My Vote....

Picture 094 (Medium).jpg

10. fernalddude

But I get 2 votes...xysport

jeep (Medium) (Medium).jpg

11. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

OK for driveways, but that is about it.....

14295plow4.jpg

12. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

My vote would be a JEEP too. wesport

13. Detroitdan

I knew there was a pair of Bronco IIs floating around somewhere, remembered seeing them here last year. Nicely set up but man those plows look short. With the wings it looks like the one on the right would hold a lot of snow, but wouldn't take long to roll it up and over.

On the s-blazer: why do those old Meyers lean back like that? Looks like it wants to drive under the snow.

14. fernalddude

Well got four of the BII's but 2 have the wings and one is just a 2 meter and one a 7.5. So we attack the storm like bees plus we have 6 full size pickup's. We use a mix of rigs to control the snow plus we pre-treat everything up to 2 inches so we burn alot of the snow off before we even drop the blades The most we have have done is 18 inches and just took some time but never the roll over. Remember we do tight places so we dont have the long runs. This is a pic of a full size 7.5 so the pic is misleading

poly 4 (Medium).JPG

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  15. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Ok, they are hard to kill!

16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

S-Trucks are hard to kill if you have a solid, relatively rust-free one. Thats the only way I lost my '86, it became a total Fred Flintstone mobile.... literally... not just a little hole I mean just the tranny tunnel left....

My preference would be a 4.3/auto combo with a big cooler, or the 5 speed with any motor.

17. raylesk

raylesk Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies. After reading everyones opinions--I'm convinced that any of the three will do the job so whatever I can get the best deal on is the right choice. But since I "bleed ford blue" I'm leaning towards the Bronco II :)

18. Detroitdan

When you find one make sure that the tailgate heater works.