1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup Sensors Alarm

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by beneb, Feb 2, 2015.

1. beneb

beneb Junior Member

I've got a 2012 Silverado 2500 HD. It's got backup sensors in the bumper as well as a camera in the handle of the tailgate. I've found when I am out plowing the backup sensors don't always work. Thankfully I haven't found that out the hard way yet! I often get a message that they are turned off and to check the owner's manual. Or, when I put it in reverse, the alarm will just sound a continuous tone for several seconds and randomly turn off at some point. I've resorted to switching the sensors off, but I would much prefer to leave them on, as they can be pretty useful. Does anybody else experience this on these trucks or have any insight? Thanks in advance!
  2. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

I don't have them, but maybe snow/ice buildup is causing them to not function properly?
    Any codes stored? 2012, I would 'assume' still covered under factory warranty, might be a good idea to get a paper trail going with dealer.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have them in two F350's; they've crapped out on both trucks. I would get them replaced when they were under warranty, but once the warranty was done, I chose not to pay for replacements. Not sure if they're the same ones used by Chevy. The long tone mesms they're malfunctioning. Snow and ice on the "lens" really should have no affect on them.
  4. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

just get used to them being confused by water, ice, snow, dirt ... like I have done

mine work fine when it's not in-climate out (blue sky)
  5. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Y'mean inclement?
    (of the weather) unpleasantly cold or wet.
    synonyms: cold, chilly, bleak, wintry, freezing, snowy, icy;
    "New England, about eight months of the year." :D
  6. chris5551

chris5551 Junior Member
    from mass.

It is just snow on the sensors. There are 4 on the back bumper. My truck does it all of the time. It just takes a little bit of snow on the sensors to get that message. Sometimes just driving down the road I get the message and it clears a short time later on it's own just by blowing off by itself especally the light fluffy snow we had yesterday. If you back into a snow bank that is all it takes to stick to the sensors.