1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

backup retainer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DYNA PLOW, Dec 19, 2001.

1. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Here's one for ya, i was approached by a land scaper / snow removal guy about covering his route in JAN. for about a week when he goes on vacation. My ? is should i charge him a 100.00 retainer for me to stick around and cover his stuff while he plays.
    (non refundable) then if i do end up plowing i could apply that towards the amount he owes me, if i don't plow it stays in my pocket.
    anybody do this?
    dan

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I cover someone in Jan and they cover me in Feb so we just swap it and any money made goes into my pocket if I plow and his if he plows. I guess if I did not have this arrangement I would probably want a retainer. After all it means changing your plowing schedule, or at least being prepared for plowing more than usual.

3. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

i wiil not ask him to cover my stuff cause i don't leave in winter, however my thoughts are the same as yours in that i have to rearange my schedule to help him.
    dan

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

I would either charge him for your "insurance" or I would get value in some other way: Have his send any overflow work your way or specialized work that you do that de doesn't go your way.

I would get some type of tangable agreement, though.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I should note that when I go he only helps if my guys get to busy. When he goes he gives me his shovelers so I can bump one of mine up to a plow truck.

6. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Kent, good point on the ins. never thought of that.
    it seems that he also talked to me about doing salting for him if we have an ice event as he does not have a salter. do you think if i charge him a retainer i will piss him off to the point of him not calling me to salt.
    i am only trying to see if anyone charges for a fill in sub, he is not really a friend just a good aquaintence.
    dan

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

That changes the picture. Sub salt work is a great value.

The exact value would depend on what you charge him, volume and proximity.

Salt is where a lot of the snow profits are at.

Depending on your salt sales to him, I'd not charge him a plowing retainer but rather use your value-added back-up plow service as your long-term customer lock-in. (ie. make sure he uses you for salt long-term in exchange for backing him up on the plowing.)

8. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Kent, after you point out that fact i believe i will take your advice and skip the retainer charge if he uses me for backup plowing and some of his ice control work.
    thanks for the input.
    dan

9. DEISL

DEISL Member

Seems to me february is the most active weather month around the n.e..Why would someone who plows snow during the winter months,go on a sabatical?Its my most lucrative month,interesting.Insurance, i already have it , whatever happened to commraderie, down the toilet , i guess.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2001