1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup lights in the bumper

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mossman381, Jan 15, 2010.

1. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I finally got my backup lights installed. No snow for awhile so I thought I would get them in. I think they are going to work out good. I am going to make a back rack and add another set on that. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Very cool!

3. mtchockey30

mtchockey30 Member
    from MO

they look awesome

4. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I just did the same thing .....I will take some pics tomorrow..... I had the holes cut with a plasma cutter, wiring tomorrow....

What brand lights are you using....

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  5. mossman381

I am not sure about the plasma cutter. It will burn the chrome and it might peel off later. Unless you are going to paint it, I would not use the plasma.

I am using the maxxima led lights. These are suppose to be the lights the big county trucks are using.

6. vincent

vincent Senior Member

That is very clean, as if it came from the factory.

Nice job

7. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

I feel they dont work as well as a set up high on your rear cab . There is a difference . It's a waste of lighting .

8. dmontgomery

my bumper is polished stainless steel....no problem with the plasma cutter.....

9. Steve G.

Steve G. Senior Member

Well it sounds like he's planning on adding a set up there to, welcome to PS.

10. mossman381

It depends on where you want the light. Light up high will not put any light behind the rear bumper. If you want the light 500ft behind you then up high is the way to go. I am trying to put the light on the ground. To see the row I have plowed so I don't run over what I haven't plowed, when backing up. The only reason I want more light in a back rack it to get some light down the side of my truck. I like using my side mirrors, but it seems too dark to use them at night. My opinion is you can't have enough light at night.

11. mossman381

I look foward to seeing what you did.

12. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

I agree with you completely about never having enough light at night. I've got 4 lights mounted on my backrack that I use. Two point straight back and two angle off to the sides of the truck. I've also got two small ones mounted under my bumper and I'm making a setup with two that will go in my receiver and hook up to my trailer lights. It really sounds like a lot, even to me as I'm typing this, but when it's dark and you're tired from plowing for 2 days straight it's worth it to be able to see.

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Looks good, Mossman... but how did you cut them? Hole saw?

14. ondagawood

ondagawood Senior Member

Looks great, yeah I agree you can't have enough light at NIGHT :nod:

15. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Looks SWEET! ussmileyflag

I'll definitely be doing that when I add another truck on 2 years!

16. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

looks sharp, a bit pricey thouhg.. Ill look into those once I kill my 20$ 55w lights t6hat I bolted under my bumper. Where did you find the best price, lowest I have seen is 55$

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  17. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Looks really good mossman. My bumper is in the mail so you can add some lights to mine as well. :)

18. dmontgomery

ok here is my install.......I tried to cut the holes with holes saws, burned up 2 $40 saws. So had them cut with a plasma cutter......

The lights in the pic are not the ones I am gonna use. I have Soundoff models that I will be installing tomorrow. These will be used for something else...

01162010061.jpg

19. dmontgomery

Number #2

second pic........

01162010060.jpg

20. dmontgomery

the other lights are a little brighter....

01162010066.jpg