1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup light suggestions.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jlouki01, Jan 22, 2011.

1. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

I added two PAR36 35w lights to my plow truck this week. They do ok.. but could be brighter. What do you guys use?

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a pair of 55 w driving lights on the back of all my trucks.

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have 55 watt halogen bulbs in my factory back up lights- Whitney's sells them. Work great. Used to run par36 lights under the bumper- got tired of replacing them.

You could look at the backup budy here- I've seen some similar items on eBay with various configurations including 55 wat driving lights instead of the PAR cans. One even had a step hoop under it.

4. D&E

D&E Senior Member

I just have El Cheapo Auto Zone brand driving lights mounted under my rear bumper. I wired in a switch so i can keep them on all the time if I want, not just in reverse. They're not amazing, but they definitely help out a lot. I think I paid under $25 for them. Anything is an improvement over stock, though.

5. sappel138

sappel138 Member

@justme-- Do you have any problem with the 55w bulbs running hotter than the stock ones? Any melted wire or bulb holders?

6. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Those rubber coated 100 watt tractor lights you can get at the truck stop for about $8 each. Those things are BRIGHT.

7. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

8. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

nope, no issues with any of that and they have been in for around 5 or 6 years. Used to run them in my dad's Blazer too and had no issues there.
    Even plowing the back up lights are almost never on for long duration- how much time do you really spend in reverse even with all the number of times you have to reverse.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

How about some American owned and operated lights? I have these back up lights wired to my cargo light switch, so no added mess in the cockpit.

[​IMG]

11. second income

second income Member

Rubber case floods mounted in rear stake pockets. Up of the way, never damaged in piles of frozen snow and easily removed in the spring. I made brackets out of the pop up stake pocket tie downs. I got laZy and wired them into the back up light circuit at each tailight. - have not blown a fuse in two seasons.

12. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I mounted a tractor light on a short wood stake with a pigtail I plug into the trailer light plug and it only lights up in reverse. When I'm done plowing I pull it out and throw it under the seat til next time.

13. wellnermp

wellnermp Senior Member
    from Alaska

2 Golight Stryker remote controlled spotlights mounted on my headache rack. Plenty bright and easily adjusted.

14. twizted143

twizted143 Member
    from nh

back up lights

i run 4 of the round halogen worklights you see on the tow trucks. halogen warm up and melt the snow verses the led lights that dont get hot. i have them wired via relay to my reverse lights with a disconnect under the hood so they arent used in summer.....two under bumper and two on backrack. looks great and good god, let there be light!