1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup cameras?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Oct 15, 2006.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I have 5% tint on my truck and won't have it any other way, plus its lifted a lil' bit with 35's so rear visibility won't be awesome. The laptop is setup in the truck with power, USB, etc hookups and printer in the backseat for invoices, estimates, etc. Is there any good reasonably priced camera that I can mount at the rear of my truck and just run to the USB of the laptop? And where at on the back is good to mount it? I have a Western ProFlo 2 receiver hitch mount spreader. Was thinking of mounting on the spreader box to avoid getting salt on it? I will have plenty of lighting on the rear.

If you can recommend any products that aren't too expensive and have worked well for you, please give me some info.

Much appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Camera hooked to the laptop won't work well, IMHO. Look at the back of the plow trucks you see on the road; they are covered in snow. IF you're trying to rely on a camera, you'll be out there constantly cleaning it off. Heated mirrors would be a much better investment.
    After all, it's not like you're trying to plow with a 30' camper...
  3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

We have backup cameras on the Medics, Engines and Ladder Trucks at the Fire Department I work for. Nobody uses them......they are just not that functional......$.02

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about one to hook up to a laptop, but the one we have on our spreader works just fine. Might have to clean it off a couple times a night if the roads are wet or the snow is powdery. There are also cameras with cleaning systems available.

IF they aren't functional, you need to buy a better system, our old one was B&W and worked great. After 4 or 5 years, we are upgrading to a color with LCD monitor, even has sound.
  5. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I was @ Meijer the other night and saw a Backup Color Camera kit for $125. It was a wireless kit with a 2" LCD. I might get one just to play with. I might first try it in the van. We'll see, seemed kinda cheezy.:rolleyes:
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

How long would that really last? Just driving down the road at times creates a big white snowball on the back of my truck, you would have to get out every few stops and clean it off. No thanks I like to stay warm.
  7. EIB

EIB Senior Member

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I was just about to recommend them. I was thinking about putting one on the back of the dump truck. Since last year I smacked a gaurd rail with the spreader. I figured if I mounted it up high I could see the salt coming off the spreader.
  9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

As long as it's designed for vehicle use, it will be fine.

THe proper backup cameras are wide angle and have heating elements, etc.. they don't get iced up.
  10. Mark Oomkes

Sometimes I only have to clean it off once, when I'm finished. If it's wet or powdery snow, I clean it off once a load of salt. Really isn't that big of a deal.
  11. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

Ouch, a 2" screen? Where does that mount to, your sunglasses? :cool: lol

Hey, that car behind me is the size of a Hot Wheels, looks like I should be fi....CRUNCH!
  12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

you would have to ask your wife what 2" can do.... we wouldn't know :p

but seriously, 2" LCD is big enough to get an idea what's behind you, just not a complete substitute for mirrors
  13. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Whats wrong with these????

14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

havent failed me yet
  15. Mark Oomkes

Nothing, other than you can't see directly behind your vehicle. I figure for $500, I can have a camera that shows everything behind me in addition to my mirrors. And $500 is the same amount as my deductible if I back into a car. JMO, cheap insurance for me.
  16. Big Dog D

Why would you not be able to see behind you with mirrors? I think that today's society has the tendency to over complicate things and become reliant on things that are not necessarily needed.

I am not totaly against the camera thing I just feel that it allows a person who is not competent enough to drive a truck to get by by becomming reliant on a device that is designed to compensate for his/her ineptness. Then when this gadget becomes useless due to a whole host of reasons he (or the truck owner) is SCREWED!!! I think the cameras have their place I just don't see snow and ice removal being one of them. Just my opinion.
  17. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I would think that the mirrors obn the truck would work best. I know you said that you have 5% tint on them, but I dont know how you guys plow, but for some reason I always plow with my driverside window down with the heater on high. (unless its in the middle of a blizzard) Does any one else have that habbit of plowing with your window down, or is it just me?
  18. Mark Oomkes

Nope, just you. ;)

JK, just like you, unless it's a blizzard, my window is down at least partially if not the whole way.

BigDog, I am referring to directly behind the truck where the mirrors will not cover. It is helpful for backing in parking lots with a lot of pedestrians and vehicles as well as getting in and out of tight areas. We have one installed on our F750 which has a Monroe municipal style v-box. We can also see how well we are spreading as well as when the box is empty without getting out. The employee that operates this truck most frequently has been plowing for well over 10 years, he is by no means incompetent or less than competent.

Soooo, I actually installed it for when I salt and plow with it. :D Figured I'd say it so you didn't have to.
  19. Big Dog D

Where is it mounted that you can see when the spreader is empty???

Again I just think that it is a dependency that you don't need and doesnt do anything to promote or develop driver skills. I am not against technology in any way shape or form and am usually pretty willing to try new things but I jst don't see something like that being a huge help.

I never would have imagined that it was for you............not in a million years! :p :p :p
  20. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i always have the window down and i also have 5% tint on my truck and my brother has 15% he also has his window down most of the time. when i worked for a guy plowing he had more money than he knew what to do with and on a f350 dump he put a camera on it and i drove that truck it was nice and available so i used it but would have been fine with just the mirrors

ups and many front loading trash trucks have them because theyre big and boxy