1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup Camera on Salter

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by drivewaydoctor, Nov 5, 2015.

1. We run a blizzard ice chaser slid in box salter and I wanted our drivers to have a better view of whats behind them since we service large plazas, medical buildings and banks.

I picked up this wireless backup camera off amazon that is nothing short of incredible. I wired it up to the salter's plate light and mounted it high on the back of the spread housing and it works great. We get a nice clear crisp picture and even with the salter running or the vibrator going there is no interference whatsoever.

Its $90 well spent.

12196133_10153647600800390_5626614574556299406_n.jpg

12185491_10153647600860390_968973372309444362_o.jpg

2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, where are you mounting the screen? For me personally it would bug the crap outta me on the dash

3. Our salt truck operator wants it on the dash but if it bothers him we are moving it down to the floor where the cup holders are under the stereo.

4. neoguy

neoguy Junior Member
    from usa

can you post links? thanks

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

So is it wireless?

6. Yes Dave. The wires off the camera have a small transmitter with an antenna. After splicing the power into my salter's license plate light wires I mounted the transmitter up inside the housing for the spreader and it works perfect. You would not even know it was wireless.

7. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I think i will be ordering a few of these.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Wonder if they come in American. Lol

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks.........

10. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Nice setup! Just wandering how long after running the salter you will actually be able to see anything. We run larger hydraulic units and after each event the back of the salters are covered in salt dust. If you can keep the camera clean it's a good idea.

11. Ne1 - This obviously can be an issue. My OEM backup cameras building into the tailgate handle of my dodge ram trucks gets clouded as well and every now and then I have to give the camera a quick wipe.

I will say on the back of my Blizzard Ice Chaser where I mounted the camera at the top that motor backing has never gotten covered in salt dust or even road grime. I don't know why.

The attached photo shows the back of my salter. If you look close you will see the Blizzard and Kooy Bros sticks so you will see how high up the camera is mounted.

winter-contractors-burlington.jpg

12. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

They are great!! I've been running them for several years!! I would recommend wired in the same style. The transmitters go for a sh#t.. either way great choice you will never go back without.. :)

13. Only reason I didn't want wired is because we don't leave the salter in the truck all the time. Sometimes we put the truck out with a couple of snow blowers in the box to help on large storms.

14. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We run them on our salters in the same spot. We have never had an issue with salt or snow dust, I want to say going on the 5th or 6th year now. We buy the wired for around $150 each. Mounted on dash with power hooked into a switch that runs the spot lights on the salter. They are worth every penny.

15. IntelCrete

IntelCrete Junior Member

Can you give me a link to that store pleas?

16. It's posted in one of my replies above.

17. IntelCrete

IntelCrete Junior Member

18. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

This is interesting. I am definitely installing one on our 550 salter this year although im looking at this wired model: http://www.lightningequipment.on.ca/mobileawareness.htm . Its upwards of $450 but I really don't want to mess around with it working intermittently. Ill have to look around in Amazon and see what I can find.

19. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Jeff don't waste ur money.. the amazon ones work fine... I even have one on the skidsteer and it's never quit!!