1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup camera for plow truck with spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stackmaster, Jan 23, 2011.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Love my spreader (Tornado) but backing up with it in the truck can make plowing a nightmare in some lots. Wondering if any of you have installed a back up camera to the back somewhere?? I had one a few years ago on the license plate but wont be able to put the new one there so will need to mount it to the spreader itself. Any ideas??

2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I have installed a cheap wireless to my vbox. it works great and I have not bent anything the last 3 years. i spent 60$ on it.

3. stackmaster

Nice, where did you mount the camera?? Did you add a connection for when the spreader is removed??

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Try here www.rearviewsafety.com a lot of us on here have bought from them. Great products but buy the one with night vision and heated. There are a lot of ways to mount them, mine is under my dump insert. I have mounted to the top of my other spreader. Do a serch for back up camera's there is more than one thread about this subject.

Mike

5. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

6. stackmaster

oops, sorry I didn't catch that in my search so thanks for sending it along. I actually just received one as a gift, likely cheaper and although it is wireless, it comes with a signal booster and night vision. I will install it and document for those looking for a cheaper alternative. Thanks for the replies.

7. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

I was at the parts store the other day getting some stuff, seen a display for rear cameras....I thought huh...that would be a good idea, but how do I keep the ice, snow off it? heated cameras? I may have to check that out!

8. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I always thought that was a great idea but figured snow and road crud would hinder the view.

9. stackmaster

I did have one on my other plow truck for a few years and it worked great. The snow was never a problem. Once or twice a night I would give it a quick wipe with my thumb on the way by. I've seen that some of them come with heat buy honestly I never had a problem that would require heat.

10. Dagwood

Dagwood Junior Member

I just got one that I use on the rear and the front of my skid loader. It's portable & doesn't have to be hooked up to your wiring. I've also used it with the camper and the boat when I didn't have Mama along. It's the Swift Hitch SH01 & I found it at wirelessbackupcamerareviews.com

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I mounted it in a crease that helped angle the camera down. I did add connectors to remove it when I take the salter off.

12. Santry426

Santry426 Senior Member

Did you ever mount a camera to it? Just picked up a poly caster so i'm looking to see how someone else did it

13. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I have a 3 camera setup from them with heated cameras. Used them for the last 3 winters without a problem. Getting 2 more sets for my trucks this year.

14. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I just did some searching on here yesterday and that setup seemed to be the most preferred, so last night I ordered it. total of 308 shipped and I cant wait to get it installed on the back of my polycaster