1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup beeper redneck-type

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by welded wrenches, Nov 13, 2004.

1. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

backup beeper reckneeck type.I'm gonna use a jap car horn,a two prong turnsignal relay,.first mount jap car horn near rear vehicle.second tap into the reverse light wires and connect a wire then that wire to one prong on the signal relay next connect another wire to the other prong on the signal relay and connect that wire to the horn.when in reverse the jap. horn beeps.Any pro's and con,s helpful. thanks welded wrenches

2. rofoth3

rofoth3 Junior Member

Back up Beeper

Horn idea won't work. It'll just be one long beep, try hooking up a turn signal fuse to one of the wires then to the horn. :)

3. rofoth3

rofoth3 Junior Member

Beeper

oops missed the turn signal relay bit. Sorry :waving:

4. dpildner

dpildner Junior Member

Redneck Back-up Beeper ??????Huh??????

:eek: I have one question, why in the world would you spend thousands on a truck and a plow but then turn around and jury rig a back up alarm that you can put on correctly (and safely) for less than $50. I am a electrician by trade and I don't strap a sheet of plywood on my truck and call it a plow. Shouldn't safety be as important as the relaibilty of your truck/plow. :nono:
    Dave :nono:

5. RON66106

RON66106 Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I think most parts stores have a backup lamp with a beeper built in for under $30 all you do is just replace one of your exsisting lamps.

7. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

I have a federal signal back up alarm on mine....Its nice!!!!Try looking into one of those.

8. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Anyone seelling a train horn by any chance? I mean something real loud.

9. RON66106

RON66106 Member

Just came from Oreilly auto parts and they had one for $7.99 97db It might not be the best or loudest but I bet it's cheaper and more reliable than something homemade.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

One big problem with this idea is the horn pulls way too much amps for the backup light circuit! It would kill the $75 park / backup light switch real quick.

11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

All i know if I was fast asleep and somebody came to plow my drive and his truck started to beep beep beep, I would be tempted to pull the guy out of it and beat him senceless. Its not a good idea if you ask me. Most of the plowing that most of us do is in the middle of the night with no one around anyways. Now granted Im sure your truck isnt just used for plowing so if you have your mind made up to do this then you may want to put a switch in line some where. Hell If im doing someones drive in the middle of the night then i will usually will do it blacked out (parking lights only).....Rob

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you can get a good quality unit for < $30 at most specialty truck upfitters

13. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Look a little further at your Napa dealer next time you're there.. They have tail light bulbs with back up beepers BUILT IN.. They're loud enough to get a pedestrians attention and maybe a car or two as long as they don't have the boom box blarin.. I think they were like $7.00 last time I picked one up.. I use it on my RV.. For my plow truck, I have an actual beeper installed. Works nice..