1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup alarm, who is using them?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenmtboy, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Like the title says, if you are using them what are you using, do you have it on a switch so it can be turned off, what are your opinion on using them and is there any rules and regs. on who, when and where they should be used?

Thanks

2. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

Around here, backup alarms are a mandated safety feature on the big trucks and heavy equipment. I believe it is illegal to turn them off or disable them. That being said, we have had noise complaints in areas where our commercial jobs are close to residential areas. Apparently some people prefer sleeping to safety. :)

3. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

All my trucks are wired up with NO off switch !!! Waking a customer or two up is cheaper than paying to scrape someone up from behind or under the truck !!!!

4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Run them on everything. It was a requirement of a school board that I worked for at one time. They have since been added to all our trucks and equipment.

We did have the by-law called on us one night (school surrounded by resi's) <which they all are>.

Guy came out at 4 am, asked us to put the truck into reverse - said OK, thanks and left.

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

have mine on switch use only when in com lots where people are around

6. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Most definitely yes on dump truck. Hard wired. Will be installing one on my pick-up this season. They save lives.

7. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

I installed and hard wired them on all of our pickups on Friday, not sure my father likes the idea. He is old school and its hard to change his ways at the age of 65 :nod:.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I have one also.

It's on a switch but not to turn it off, I use the switch to turn it on when going forward when I'm throwing salt in high foot/vehicle traffic areas.

Regardless, it sounds like there are more and more people out there trying to make a buck by stepping or getting behind a plow truck. I would think the alarm would help your case if there was such an incident, and I would suggest everyone get one.

9. D&JsLawn

D&JsLawn Member

Got one on each of my trucks as they both have spreaders. OSHA says any vehicle with an obstructed view has to have one.

10. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

On our commercial trucks like dumps, they are all factory wired. On our pickups they are on a rocker switch. We make enough noise while plowing at 2AM while doing drives. Its actually dangerous to wake people up! When you wake them up, they get grouchy and walk outside!

We use the beepers when on select commercial lots at night and on resis when the sun is up at all times!

11. Weenuk

Weenuk Senior Member

Do the reverse beepers that get installed between the reverse bulb and wiring work well??

12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

We tapped right into the reverse lights wire on the trailer plug for out pickups... See/hear no difference.

13. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

D&J is right. They are required by OSHA on any vehicle that you cant see out the back

14. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

I only do residentials, and all are summer weekenders, so I had my '11 dump for about 5 min and disconected it. What a PITA they are..If i did comm lots, id prob have three of em beepin at once.

15. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Looks like I'm going to have to put them on a switch. When you use the key-less entry to unlock them, the alarm sounds off because they are wired to the reverse lights :rolleyes:. Any other suggestion?

16. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I ran them off my backup lights which ran through a relay and a 3 way switch. I found it nice to turn the backup beeper off but I wanted the lights on in back so I wired a switch in to the backup beeper as well. It's switched to death but it works great and I love being able to turn it off when it is not needed. I love it being activated when the truck goes in reverse as well.

Here's what I did:

[​IMG]