1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backup alarm on 2014 3500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pieperlc, Mar 10, 2014.

1. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Bought a new dump and would like to put a backup alarm on it. Has anyone done one? Will I need to cut and splice into the reverse lighting wires, or is there a harness back there somewhere that I didn't see? Rather not cut and splice if I don't have to. It came with the backup alarm calibration provision so the reverse lights won't turn on when the doors lock. Thanks.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you're going to have to tap into the wiring.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

I would look into a tee adapter for trailer wiring...plug and play...wire it up like they do for 5th wheel with backup lights

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Otherwise find the hot wire for the reverse lights where it comes into the trailer wiring plug. Mount the alarm in that general area close to the wiring for the trailer plug wiring. Cut the reverse light wire and then hook up the hot wire for the alarm to the reverse light wire. Use waterproof butt connectors when hooking everything else up. Ground the alarm to the frame. Once you click the truck into reverse the alarm will sound.

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Very surprised it didn't come with the alarm on it, or whoever did the dump bed install didn't install one. I've bought many dump trucks and they have always had them on, never had to request it. I thought it was a requirement on a dump body.

6. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

Thanks guys. I'll probably cut and splice into the reverse light wire. Won't be hard to do but I hated to cut if there was a harness tucked up somewhere.