1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Backracks. Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duncan90si, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

[​IMG]

Am I the only one that is not crazy about these things?

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just curious to hear opinions from people that like them and those who don't.

I personally couldn't justify spending the money on something that doesn't offer that much protection for my cab. (I would buy the safety rack before the back rack.) I'm not really crazy about the looks of them either. I see a lot of guys like them for mounting lights on. I don't run additional reverse lights and I always keep my roof light on my roof. :)

Discuss.

2. Buck Bros.

Buck Bros. Member

You'll need a half set of weekender ladder forks to carry ladders . Or it looks like a rocket launcher .

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I like em for lights, I HATE the sound of a rotating warnng light on the roof. On a backrack it doesn't bother me.

4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I like mine for the mounting of lights but also can strap to it to keep something in the bed from moving around.

5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i had one when they first came out, and it was nice to mount lights on but i hated the fact that it jacked my toold box up another 1.5 inch or so which made it a little harder to see out the back and when i have my 33's on it the summer i could barely reach anything in the box without gettting in the truck.

i agree duncan i like the looks and functionality of the safety rack better, the look of the back rack is just way too worn out now, everybodys got em .

6. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

They're played out. everyone and their grandmother has one around here. I wanted something different so I went with a Highway Products. way more money but I like the look and I've never seen another one around.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i got one, i use it for lights and like said above its another thing you can hook a strap too especilly good for quads or sleds. its also handy for hauling ladders an stuff. it think its a sturdier mount for a tool box too.

8. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Looks awesome, I like it alot, the LED lightbar looks good too. Nice job!!

9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

BS- Thats Sharp. Whats one of those run? Like the spreader too, it's the first "smaller" v-bov I've seen with fold-up chute. Is that unit Gas or Electric?

10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I like the ones by Weather Guard, function of protecting the back window is more important to me.

11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Im a back rack fan. (not choosing brands here fuction over looks any time ) It provides enough protection to stop large items from hitting up against the glass. with out obstuckting visiblity in the cab too much, im not affraid to weld, drill or do anything to it, mounting any lights is nice...sure beats putting the light up on the roof with magnets or drilling and messing up your roof. the rocket launcher part is true, but if you dont haul that many large items around often you can deal with it, or just let it stick out the back of your truck. acctually holds 10-12 foot items pretty nice. also gives you a good tie down point, and a nice surface to brace against. I had to haul some tall tool boxes and some oxy act. tources....dont think i would have tried it with out a back rack or some kind or brand

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

BSDeality,

Nice rig. Glad I'm not the only one who's looking to have a visual marker at the back of the spreader (the plow sticks). I bought a pair of light-up bumper guides from JCW but haven't installed them yet. Have had more pressing problems with that truck :help:

I bought a backrack for the S15 because I didn't wanna mark up the roof of the truck with a light and I wanted to install spotlights. The bed already had a few holes, I think someone had a cap bolted on at one point... Also, the backrack went on sale at Canadian Tire for $189... plus the tool box mounts of course. Already had the aluminum tool box, so I went with it...

13. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I am not a huge fan of the looks of the backrack brand so I made my own headache rack for a fraction of the cost.

14. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i got mine for $0.00 .... well a truck load of firewood actually lol. i like the looks of them. and they work well, you can still get at the back window when it's iced over. it doesn't affect visability too bad.. and thier great for mounting lights on....

when i built the flat deck for our f250 i made it look like a back rack. i find thier very servicable for me

15. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I love my back rack for lights and light bar and straping things off in the bed.

I didn't like the price of the racks either so I built my own for $ 100 and my time.

16. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

The fact that so many people have them pretty much tells you that it is a good balance between design and function. It looks like most people get them to mount lights.

17. TGM

TGM Senior Member

personally i don't like back racks. here's one i built with my dad for my old truck which was then put on my 01 dually i had here in the pictures. i tried to outline the rack and put some info in the pictures...these were all that i could find. anyways, it was built very tough as the bed would bend before the rack did. plus i had an over the bed toolbox on it before which didn't have to be raised. ..just gives you guys some (homemade) ideas...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I have 2 backracks and would def buy another.

19. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I like JustinDs rack alot, and I actually have a Hyw Products Tool Box, and didnt even know they made racks ..................... I agree with the other post up above; about the Rotating lights on the cabs is not coooool, I have a 420 on the roof now and it sounds like a couple of monkeys roller skating up there and is Very anoying

20. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I don't like the actual brand name Back Racks. I like to have a rack that has the expanding steel so when I through wood it I can't hit my window. I also like to mount back up lites and a strobe lite on it.